Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaylach

Thread: Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 users

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thumbs up Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 users

Yes - Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users for the first year.

Windows 10 will be a Service, keeping the experience current for the supported lifetime of the device.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

CRUD!

I guess being subscription based is OK as long as the combined cost is in the area of an old style license but I'd still prefer to buy the thing and be done with it.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I did not see anything subscription based. I understood that they will offer 10 for free during the first year after RTM and will remain free for the life of the device (7, 8 and 8.1 upgrades). Nothing to pay after that free version was installed. Enterprise editions are not part of that deal.

Looks like they are really after moving the 7 guys. I wonder why XP is not included - I guess they let them smother in their uncertain situation.

This move makes sense if you regard the OS as a facilitator to sell other stuff - from the store and Office which is their biggest money maker.
    Last edited by whs; 22nd January 2015 at 01:17.

I could be wrong but took the following quote from:
    Windows 10: release date, price, news and features | Operating Systems News | TechRadar
    as meaning that it would be free for the first subscription year.

Confirming recent reports, Microsoft's Terry Myerson announced that Windows 10 will be free for Windows 8.1 users for its first year. While there's no word on pricing for users still on Windows 7 or an older version, Microsoft confirmed a while ago that the two most recent Windows versions will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 directly.

OK, I found a bit of clarification... I was one of those confused by the statement about 10 being a service.

Also, per Myerson...

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device at no additional charge.

And, this clearly answers the bigger, lingering question of the day brought on through the confusion of touting Windows 10 as "Windows-as-a-Service." And that is - will Windows now come with a subscription model? The answer is 'no.' Once you choose to upgrade, the OS is yours to keep for the life of the device.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

akoer is offline New Member

Beta testers, I call them