Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    adric is offline New Member

Default Restore

I just took a quick look at SMART and I'm wondering how you create the restore point. I don't use system restore and have it turned off since I use other backup methods. Even with system restore off, it seems SMART goes through the motions without indicating system restore is turned off.

It would be nice if SMART would just do its own backup of the services settings. I really don't want to press any of the other buttons, because I already have a few services tweaks which I would lose if I went back to the defaults after trying something else that I wanted to undo.

Also, there is no function that I saw in the GUI to return to your previous settings - just reset to Window Defaults.

Thanks ...

LeeW is offline Gold Member

When you click to create a Restore Point yes it starts the process, checks to see if System Restore is Enabled/Disabled and moves on from there. If it is disabled you will see a notice on the Main page. May move that in the future

As far as backups, yes I have thought of it and possibly in the future given more time to work on it, I plan to have a Backup function as well as Custom Configuration. I have thought of several other possibilities as well. Just takes time, was started out as just an idea that noone else had tried and step by step it's growing, but I Thank you for the Feedback, without hearing any, you have no idea what people look for

Crash357 is offline New Member

Hi, i'm new to this forum and new to tweaking windows as well, so your program helped me a lot to reduce memory usage. I have never dared to mess with services before and i probably wouldn't have without SMART. Thanks !

PS: I may not be the first to say this to you, but an option to save/import profiles in order to test what's necessary or not would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash357 View Post
    Hi, i'm new to this forum and new to tweaking windows as well, so your program helped me a lot to reduce memory usage. I have never dared to mess with services before and i probably wouldn't have without SMART. Thanks !

PS: I may not be the first to say this to you, but an option to save/import profiles in order to test what's necessary or not would be cool.
    Glad it helped you and welcome to TWC

Next version will have option to view what will be tweaked side by side with the current status of the service as well as being able to create your own custom tweaks and ability to export the list and save them for use on other machines via the application or registry tweaks (for machines not running SMART)

squeezin is offline New Member

Question Which services does SMART V1.2 actually disable?

Hi there, so i came across the smart tool....finally a windows services tool that works!

However, im trying to find the actual services disabled in each of the four modes:

Safe
    Tweaked
    Advanced

I just hate not knowing exactly what is being disabled, and then having to hunt the disabled service down to figure out why something is not working...

I looked everywhere i could think of for the info with no luck.
    Anyone got the "services cheat sheet" of what each mode disables?

Thanks for reading.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

It is based on BlackVipers Services Guide. Based on its recommendations, these are the services tweaked in each mode: Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Its mentioned on the homepage

Quote Originally Posted by squeezin View Post
    Hi there, so i came across the smart tool....finally a windows services tool that works!

However, im trying to find the actual services disabled in each of the four modes:

Safe
    Tweaked
    Advanced

I just hate not knowing exactly what is being disabled, and then having to hunt the disabled service down to figure out why something is not working...

I looked everywhere i could think of for the info with no luck.
    Anyone got the "services cheat sheet" of what each mode disables?

Thanks for reading.
    I am in the middle of moving getting internet service......... and working on the next release of SMART. The next version will display the changes before you apply changes to each but as Andy has stated, the tweaks are based on tweaks from Blackvipers site, from his site you can view a side-by-side configuration of the different tweaks that can be applied.

I have had several people ask this and today if I have a chance till the next release, I'll try to put together a textfile that list the different tweaks as well as their dependencies and what they do
    Last edited by LeeW; 5th May 2010 at 12:52.

Update on next release of SMART

Finishing up other projects but I am hoping to release the next and final build of SMART after the first of the year, closer to end of January as I have other projects I am completing. I have several new features adding but if anyone has any feature requests please feel free to message them to me.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

SMART Windows Services Tweaker updated to v2.0

Change Log.

1. Changed GUI.
    2. Added Custom Settings.
    3. Added confirmations before applying settings.
    4. Now user Double Clicks a Service to view more information.
    5. Right Click a Service to view menu to Start\Stop and change Startup Type for selected Service.
    6. Option to search more information about Service using Bing Search or Blackvipers website.

zand94 is offline New Member

Great additions to the updated version! Thank you for your time on this. Are you able to bring back the sort by clicking on the column header feature in version 1? I would usually sort by the service name instead of the default of the display name

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last