Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feedback: Windows Themes Installer

rebop is offline New Member

Hi folks,

Brand new here and forgive me for not reading this entire thread in case this has all been covered.

New laptop with Windows 7 64bit. I ran Windows Theme Installer and every theme I have tried comes up as classic. Tried 4 or 5. So decided to revert back to t=my unpatched files and WTI throws an error that it does not have access to c:\windows\explorer.exebak (or close to that). Ran as admin even though I am the admin and same error.

So, a few questions:

1. Why can I not install a them as an aero theme, only classic when they are aero themes?
    2. How can I revert to my original files unpatched?
    3. What file sneed to be reverted? I seem to have three explorer.exe files - opne with bak and one with _wti_bak, if I recall.

I'd love to get this to work, but if I can't, I'd at least like to revert to factory and try another solution.

Thanks!

~Bob

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Do remember to create a system restore point first always, before trying anything new.

Run Windows Theme Installer as admin and see if it helps.

In an elevated command prompt window which opens, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. The sfc utility will run for a while and if any corruptions are found, replace them on re-boot. For details see System File Checker: Run sfc scannow, Interpret sfc.exe logs in Windows 7.

Well, if I did a restore point, that would likely be 15 restore points back, so would also remove everything after. And since I am setting up a new computer, that would be massive changes.

As I mentioned above, I DID try to run as admin and the same errors.

Would really appreciate help getting back to ground zero on the changes this made.

~Bob

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Did you run sfc /scannow ? That should put your explorer.exe to default state.

I did not. I always worry it will replace more than I really wanted it to. So I did it manually. Then ran Windows Theme Changer (?) which worked perfectly.

~Bob
    HappyAndyK likes this.

Halloween is offline New Member

Default Windows Theme Installer v 1.1

How do I fix C\system32\UTP.exe access denied

Halloween is offline New Member

I meant to say
    C\windows\UTP.exe access denied

Page 5 of 5 First ... 345