Page 7 of 7 First ... 567
    starkline is offline New Member

Hello-
    I realize that it is generally considered poor form to revive such an old thread, but I've tried installing this program and had a similar issue as a few others.

What happened is that when the program installed, it immediately changed Windows Explorer's view settings. Specifically List View. ListView now appears with column spacing, which bypasses the normal way in which List View automatically resizes columns to accommodate long filenames. Furthermore, the font text size has slightly decreased, but it's also possible that what I'm seeing as smaller text is just that the space between the folders (above and below) has decreased. Along with the annoyance of ListView being altered is that thumbnail previews, when viewed with Large or Extra Large icons, no longer automatically resize so that there is less space between separate files.

I've thrown the kitchen sink at this problem, and I've come up short.

In a separate user account created ages ago, I found that the problems did not persist between user accounts. I went ahead and installed the background changer on the functional account and the same thing happened. This time, however, I did it with a registry monitoring utility active. After spending hours scouring through the logs of ProcMon (part of the SysInternals Suite), I changed hordes of registry entries. Nothing worked.

Also, I went ahead and threw an sfc /scannow at the problem, which also had no effect.

Finally, I created a fresh user account and installed the folder background changer. To my surprise, it installed AND uninstalled itself with no problems. Again, I had ProcMon running and tried to piece together exactly what W7FBC was doing to uninstall itself. Nothing.

Oh, and I obviously tried clicking the big uninstall button from within the program...several times. It did nothing.

Specifically, I'm hoping someone knows if W7FBC is doing something beyond altering registry settings? If so, I can't determine what it's doing, and I haven't seen any source code floating around.
    The reason I went nuts going through registry entries is that new user accounts don't share the problem. As my understanding goes, the underlying Window 7 frame-work is that system resources like dlls, etc. are shared. As such, my logic indicates that something in the registry must be causing the issue.

I checked the OP's info, and it doesn't look like he's been on this forum in a long time. Unfortunately, I'm posting now in the hope that someone can help a frustrated troubleshooter. I figure it's slim chances, but I'd rather not reinstall because of one small, but extremely annoying problem.

Kind regards to anyone who might be able to help me out!

edit:
    I suppose this might help if anyone chimes in with a solution....

I'm running Win7x64. It's fully updated.
    Last edited by starkline; 7th June 2015 at 22:48.

DonC is offline New Member

I just think that I have to go trough this whole tread. The application stopped after installing this Ultimate Windows Tweaker tool. Too bad really as it worked perfectly for a month or more. And just like the last poster I'm on W7 Ultimate x64 ... Sometimes however a restart/reboot was needed to see the BG changes.

DonC is offline New Member

Sorry, solved in the meantime ..

Page 7 of 7 First ... 567