HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thumbs up Feedback : Start Orb Mover

Start Orb Mover, developed by Lee, will allow you to move the Start Button and the Start Menu to either the center of the Taskbar or far right\bottom, depending on Taskbar location. It will let you move or re-locate your Start Button and Start Menu to any location on your Taskbar. Clicking on the re-located Start Orb will open the Start Menu, relative to the location of the Start Orb.

If you wish to give any feedback, you may do so in this thread.

selvan777 is offline Beginner

Default Thanks

This portable freeware...
    Since it's portable, just to confirm, there will not be, nor will there be a need, for an uninstaller, correct?

Thanks,
    Selvan

zanlok is offline New Member

Is there anything like this that will work with XP SP3? The version I downloaded crashed on my XP.

selvan777 is offline Beginner

There's no Start Orb on XP. Do you mean the Start Button?

rasselas is offline New Member

zanlok (cool name), all I can say is that there was a couple of programs that did that... though the original author's site is down. I'll include the links though, just so maybe it can help you google search for some valid links to the old versions.

Move Start button & System Tray -- by Zamaansoft
    (oops, can't post url's yet)

TWC... I very much like the idea behind this utility, however it is not working that well for me. I (would post links, but can't) have read several articles praising the idea of this app, but also noting many bugs. I also note those bugs and feature requests:
    1) the appfiles folder hasn't any help-file, and is not so self-explanatory as it mine seem. How about a readme file for those?
    2) when taskbar is vertical, there is a large amount of space between start-orb placed bottom most, and the system tray (not so) directly above it. Could you shrink the overly large gap there?
    3) A great feature would be to offer to move the system tray location as well. Then ALL other parts of the taskbar are moveable.
    4) Sometimes when clicking on the new start orb a LOT of flickering (whole taskbar) takes place
    5) Every so often, the original start-orb also appears (albeit behind my added quick-launch bar)... Sometimes it's clickable, usually not, and it tends to go away when I click on the new-orb (yes, both appear at the same time).
    6) I tried to change default orb set (images for orb), and it wouldn't work, giving me a bunch of errors. Ok, actually it did eventually work, but then upon restarting (even though program was not set to start on windows start), the new orb image set appeared. It shouldn't do that AS you have no means in your program (that I can see) to restore (via BAK-uped file) the original IMAGE. I might be wrong on this point (as I have another program that might be causing a conflict)... just wanted to make you aware though.
    7) the "Restore original button and quit SOM" option did not ever work for me.

From another website you've already probably seen before:

First, when you launch Start Orb Mover after extracting it from the zip file, you’ll see the usual security message associated with downloaded files appear; it’s very important you untick “Always ask before opening this file” before clicking Run, or you’ll run into problems.

You’ll also see this message appear when you close the app for the first time, referring to ShowIt. We found this hung, forcing us to close the box via the X button, and then get an error message regarding the tool while the Start button remained hidden from view. Again, the solution is relatively simple: open the AppFiles folder inside the Start Orb Mover folder, then double-click ShowIt manually before unticking the “Always ask…” box and clicking Run (it should then shut down properly in future).

They’re both annoying glitches, but you should at least not encounter them more than once. However, other problems also appeared during testing: we found that when the Start menu was too low when it appeared after clicking the Start button if it was displayed at the bottom of the screen -- it was fine when the button was at the top, but we wonder if this is a universal issue, or just one with our laptop’s widescreen display resolution.

If I didn't like the program and think it had potential, I wouldn't criticize this much... so don't be discouraged. Even just a small fix or two will bring this app that much closer to prime-time! Thanks

Saggia is offline New Member

Hi. I have GDI+ error both on windows 8 and windows 10.

Will you plan to update or have a fix for this issue?