Thread: Format main hard drive. Want to install SDD then migrate to this drive

Dukes is offline New Member

Default Format main hard drive. Want to install SDD then migrate to this drive

I have an Dell desktop with a 1tb HDD running Win 10, am looking to install an SDD then migrate over to this drive leaving the 1tb HDD just for my files.

My 1st question is; I have 4 sata slots on the motherboard 1 = 1tb HDD, 2 = free, 3 = DVD, 4 = free. Have read somewhere always use the lowest number slot for an SSD & if that is so do I put the SDD sata cable into slot 1 & HDD into slot 2
    when I first install the SDD drive or change them later after I have cloned the HDD ?

As I am going to use my 1tb HDD just for my file storage will I be albe to do a full fomat on the HDD ie clean all partitions.

Many thanks

jcgriff2 is offline Microsoft MVP

Hi. . .

I would suggest that you install Windows onto the SSD without the HDD being connected.

After Windows 10 is installed on the SSD, then reconnect the HDD and use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to format the HDD in NTFS format.

Doing the installation this way assures that no boot related files are written to the HDD during Windows install onto the SSD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Agree with jcgriff2. The only thing I would add is disk management may give you an error when trying to format the old HDD since there are system files on it. You can use the DispPart command prompt to clean the disk before formatting.

Follow the instructions here for cleaning the disk. Scroll down to where it says "Wipe a drive and convert to MBR". Select the disk to be cleaned and then type clean. After you clean the disk close the DiskPart tool and go back to disk management and format the disk.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Disk is of the GPT style

Dukes is offline New Member

Thank guys that sounds more sensible, would you agree to use the sata slot that was occupied by the HDD for the SDD ?