Thread: Cannot create a USB Recovery Drive: We cannot create the drive now

Clayto is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Cannot create a USB Recovery Drive: We cannot create the drive now

I want to create a USB Recovery Drive for my Windows 10 PC but so far have been unable to do so. When I click on the button to create a drive I get a message saying 'We can't create the drive now'. No explanation of why, no pointers to what can be done about it.

I have run the scans SFC and DSIM and errors have been repaired but this has not solved the problem, I still get the message that we cannot create the drive.

I have a suitable USB drive ready. It was used for the 8.1 Recovery Drive. When I do get the Drive creation function working will it automatically delete these files or should I format the drive first?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Looks like many are receiving this error: We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive. There is a long thread on this at Microsoft Answers with no solution being offered by Microsoft.

A few ideas:

Make sure your Windows 10 is activated.

Try to create the recovery drive after booting in Clean Boot State and see if it works.

If you want to use the recovery drive for only when your PC does not start or to reset it, then uncheck the Back up system files to the recovery drive option and see if you can now create it. But when you uncheck this option, you will not be able to use it to reinstall Windows. It will be useful pnly if Windows 10 does not start or if you need to reset Windows 10.

Regarding your question in the last line, you may format and use it. In any case, everything on the USB will get deleted during the creation process.

cbbvb is offline Beginner

I wonder if you tried to get help from third party software. If not, here you can try AOMEI Backupper to create a USB recovery drive for Windows 10 by cloing disk to a USB flash drive. besides, you can backup disk for your Windows 10 to a USB drive, and you can restore the disk later.

What size in GBs would the USB flash drive need to be? I understand that the Windows 10 Recovery Drive if I could create it, requires 'at least 4 GB'. I have created a
    Windows bootable USB Recovery Drive with AOMEI Backupper but it is only a few bytes so it cannot be the full deal. I will have a look at the other option you suggest --- I have a good opinion of AOMEI.

The AOMEI USB Backup Drive got my computer going when it refused to start after BSOD following the November / Fall update. My understanding now is that using the Windows 10 Recovery Drive, if I was able to create it, would return my computer to clean factory state, losing all my programs / apps and files. Not a good prospect. Am I right in thinking that cloning the disk (a disk image) with AOMEI would preserve everything? If so I will follow that up.