ringburner is offline New Member

Default Windows 10 not booting past initial "screensaver?" screen

Following Windows deciding to install its (presumably) latest updates this afternoon, I can no longer fully boot my machine. It powers up OK, the monitor has life, but the whole boot-up process sticks at the "screensaver?" page - in my case a stock Microsoft photograph looking out to sea and some large rocks from within a cave, the screen that appears before, normally, you can enter your pin to continue boot-up. In the bottom right-hand corner of this screen is what appears to be a Power Icon that I've not seen before and with a dreaded cross on it. Clicking on this does nothing.To compound the issue my DVD unit seems to no longer read discs (it opens and closes OK), I mention this in case relevant, but I am able to access the Bios options on booting.

I downloaded via another PC the Windows 10 install disc to USB from which I have attempted to boot, again without success, and have also tried various options that I have been able to access such as "Repair"as well as trying to restore the unit to the solitary restore point accessible, created around the time everything went wrong! The Restore failed too and frankly I'm out of ideas .. and frustrated to say the least!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, believe me!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator