Thread: Cannot create or set up Microsoft account over local account in Windows 10

Croman is offline New Member

Smile Cannot create or set up Microsoft account over local account in Windows 10

Having successfully changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10 & set up a local account all is fine. but now i want to set up a Microsoft account & all ways into doing it are blocked. by that i mean when you go to user account via control panel & click onto make changes to my account in pc settings, i am directed to accounts then try to click on sign in with a Microsoft account instead. a dark grey window opens & closes immediately. i can't get past this point.

can anyone help please. thanks in anticipation.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Please see if running the Microsoft Accounts Troubleshooter helps you.

Tried that, it finds that I have not got a microsoft account setup, which is correct. But I still cannot set one up. Still get a dark grey window opens & closes immediately. i can't get past this point.
    Any other ideas !! Thanks.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Have you tried via Settings? You have to open Settings and then Accounts. You will get an option to add Microsoft account in the right pane, under Other Accounts (you may have to scroll down a bit). When you click Add a Microsoft account, a wizard will appear to walk you through the process. No need to remind you that you should be logged in as an admin to be able to change the settings.
    Please check this method while I figure out other methods to create a Microsoft account on computers.

I am logged on as "Ian" "Local Account" "Administrator" at the top of the accounts page. further down but above "My Picture" I am clicking on "sign in with a Microsoft account" at this point the next page flashes up and closes immediately. Further down clicking on "add an account" "choose an account opens". My Microsoft account is a "Hotmail" account and it is the "outlook.com" option that will not open, (flashes open for one second then closes again). the other options will open but I presume they will not work with "Hotmail" account. I have a "Hotmail" account set up & it this I would like to link to my PC. I don't know whether this throws a different spanner in to the works!! Ian.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

My account is Hotmail and it works well. I never created a local account so did not face problems.
    This article from Microsoft says you have to go to Users and Other Family Members: Set up accounts - Windows Help
    Please see if that helps. You may also be interested in MS FAQ about user accounts: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/account/faq.aspx

If it helps or you find any other method, let us know.

I have been there,(Users and Other Family Members) and I get the same situation, the next page just flashes on then off again. The MS FAQ about user accounts, is all very interesting, but to complicated, talking about aliases. it has just dawned on me that I have not tried logging into any other Microsoft services with in windows 10, so I have been away and tried them all and get the same problem as described above. I am wondering whether I might need to get Windows 10 reinstalled.

vasudev is offline Moderator

May be your present user profile is corrupted..try creating a new user and then try.

I find that I can not create another user in any shape or form. I can put in other e-mail addresses, but not user ID's.