rajabmm is offline New Member

Question Copying to external disk requires twice the copied file size

i had this problem once i started using Windows 10, and the problem is that to copy file to my external, i have to ensure that i have twice the size of the copied files as free space in the external, e.g. if my external is 6gb and it's empty and i need to copy 4gb file windows won't let me but instead give me error message about no free space on the external.

i checked the external storage feature and confirmed the space is available. i even contacted microsoft but they couldnt help. and this problem happens in at least 2 different pc i use and many external i use. i'm using windows 10 enterprise. any help is appreciated.

ty.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

No idea for sure, but maybe the process requires some additional disk space temporarily.

Is your external drive formatted to FAT32? If so format it to NTFS and see if it works.

rajabmm is offline New Member

yes all my externals are formatted to ntfs...

cbbvb is offline Beginner

Or you can use a clone software to clone your files to your external hard drive, like AOMEI Backupper, which you can use to clone without any payment because it is free for Windows PC users.