Wquatan is offline New Member

Default OS-independent Free Boot Manager or Loader Software

Is there a way to avoid Windows10 messing around with the MBR and PBR of other installed OSes ?
    I don't want to use the Win10 Boot-manager but another OS-independent Boot-manager.

Any suggestion to other OS-independent Boot-managers would be welcomed too. Actually I'm using Air-Boot.

Installing Windows7 in one partition, Windows10 in another and reactivating Air-Boot results allready in problems. Never had any problems before, so I really wonder what Windows10 is messing around.

To be clear, the example (Win7/Win10) I gave isn't clarifying everything. I want to be able to boot any other OS too, as I did before

Any help, explanation, suggestion greatly welcomed because it's unclear to me what Windows10 setup is doing.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

I donīt use W10 so i canīt say exactly how it works.
    But usually when you add (install) a newer Windows-O/S it "takes over" as bootpartition.
    This is neccesary because an older O/S doesnīt know about the newer O/S, and cannot boot it.

If fx. you have W7 and add W10, you can restore W7 as bootpartition.
    But, you have to copy bootmgr from W10 to W7.

Personally i use EasyBCD, and have continued to use WS2008-R2 as my main O/S and bootpartition,
    even though i have added (tried) several other (newer) O/S.

I have never heard of Air-boot, but you should probably be able to continue using it.

Exactly what problems have you had after installing W10 and "reactivating Air-Boot"?
    You canīt start W10...?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator