Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arun Kumar

Thread: Photo Gallery Screen Saver issues in Windows 10

Catdaddy is offline New Member

Default Photo Gallery Screen Saver issues in Windows 10

I updated my Windows 7 OS to Windows 10 several months ago and my screen saver used my pictures in my photo gallery. I had no problems until a few days ago when I updated the anniversary edition of Windows 10.

My photo gallery screen saver will come on after 1 minute but when I interrupt the screen saver by moving the mouse I just get a black screen. The only way I can get out of the black screen is to call up Task Manager <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> and then click cancel. The screen savers that come with Windows 10 work without any problems.

What do I need to do to fix this issue ?

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

See if it works when you change it from the Lock screen settings. Open settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen. Scroll down on the right and from Screen Saver Settings, add the folder of images and shuffle etc.
    If it still doesn't work, let us know. We'll find something.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

That seemed to work and I decided to restart my PC to make sure. Under Settings I had Use this theme: Random. The first picture that came up used the theme Pan and zoom and when I wiggled the mouse my screen came back normal. Then I let my screen saver kick in again and the next theme was different because I had Random set as the theme. When I wiggled the mouse I just had a black screen again. Had to use <ctrl><Alt><Delete> again and then click cancel on Task Manager to get back to my normal screen (Your response to this issue). I then tried all of the other themes, Classic, Fade, Black and White, Sepia, Album, etc. and when the screen saver kicked in after 1 minute activity and I watched several photos, I would wiggle the mouse to get back to your response and again I would get the black screen. The only theme that works is the Pan and zoom. That is fine because I do not need to go to the extra steps of bringing up Taskmaster but maybe you could find why Pan and zoom will work but the other themes will not.

When I used the method of going through the Control Panel to Change Screen saver, under Screen Saver Settings, I used Windows Live Photo Gallery. Then under Settings: I used the folder Pictures. Then I used the theme: Random. Using your method going through Lock Settings Windows Live Photo Gallery is not an option. Only Photos. Under Photos I again used the folder Pictures which works. I did like the theme Random that is available when you go through the Control Panel but for what ever reason it only works with the Pan and zoom theme. Wish there was not a conflict on the two different methods of changing the Screen Saver and wish that going through Lock Settings would let you choose different themes. Maybe this could happen in a Windows update.