Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blueice

Thread: Copy Windows 10 start screen (Metro tiles) from old (disabled) user account

johnh is offline New Member

Default Copy Windows 10 start screen (Metro tiles) from old (disabled) user account

After a repair by a MS technician I have a new repaired user account, with my old account files accessible. The new account does not have the start screen setup I had previously.
    How can I access this setup and transfer it to the new account?
    Thanks

blueice is offline New Member

You need to move vedatamodel.edb in C:\ Users\ UserOldAccount\ AppData\ Local\ TileDataLayer\ Database from your old account to the new one. Copy the old vedatamodel.edb somewhere safe, take ownership of the new one and rename it to vedatamodel.edb.old and paste the old one in it's place. However, Windows 10 might not let you do it from the account you're logged into and either create another account and log into it then replace the file from the disabled account to the account you normally use or boot up with a live Windows/Linux DVD/USB and do it that way. For more details see this post in the wintenforum and as always make sure you have a system image or a restore point or preferably both and you might need to restart the computer 2 or 3 times

tenforums.com/software-apps/25406-removing-dead-icons-start-menu-all-apps.html
    HappyAndyK likes this.