Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vasudev

Thread: There was a problem resetting your PC - Windows 10

raining is offline New Member

Exclamation There was a problem resetting your PC - Windows 10

Hi everyone, I can't reset my Windows 10 PC. Whenever I try to reset it, I get a message that says the following. There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. I never had this problem before, until today. Is there any way to fix this? I should note that before this problem happened I downloaded a program called Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder. I also scanned this program and it has no viruses. If anyone needs any details about my PC, then please let me know in the comments section. Thank you.

holdum333 is offline New Member

Hi! That happens a lot. I would suggest a clean install. You can down load the ISO file by searching for Windows Creation tool!
    Let me know if you need more help! If you are asked for a Key, skip that part. You can validate the digital windows key later!

vasudev is offline Moderator

WHat's the Windows 10 ver you are currently having? Please check that your Windows is uptodate with latest updates. If not, please update your Windows.
    Was it working before installing this Thumbnail program? I dont think that could be the reason, still if you have any Restore point set before installing this program try to go back to that point or other very recent restore point. Please ensure that you have backed up your files etc. before trying it.
    Also was your Windows 10 pre-installed or an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8? Has the manufacturer of your PC has enabled compression to save diskspace?
    Last edited by vasudev; 11th February 2017 at 08:45.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

In an elevated CMD, you may need to run these commands:

cd %windir%\system32\config
    ren system system.001
    ren software software.001

See Windows fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC fails for details.

Or else, as a workaround this issue, boot to the USB recovery drive > Troubleshoot > Recover from a drive. Follow the on-screen instructions.

BTW, if you need - the link for >>> Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.