mark8152 is offline New Member

Default Windows 10 Optical disk drive stopped and Cortana stopped working

I have a Dell Inspiron one 2305 all in one PC. Came with Win 7, I updated to Windows 10 about a year ago. First few month every thing was great! every thing worked fine. Then Cortana stopped working after a while I can no t search for anything. If you try to type a question it only allow you to type in Two letter and it quits on you. I tried the search trouble shooter but it could not Identify the Problem.

Second thing, MY Optical disk reader stopped after a update Oct 30 2016, I tried the trouble shooter same thing, I tried the Dell fix it, it said update the driver, went to do that that it said i have the lastest drivers, and it found no problem with my disk r/w. I am scared to try and reload win 10 online, because i have no disk reader to load win 7 if there a problem, reloading win 10, I will be totally shut out if a problem accords. Does any one have a solution to any of these problems? Help Please

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Open Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > Right Click > Update drivers.

Else you may Uninstall the driver, use Scan for hardware changes and install fresh latest drivers.

If you familiar with BIOS settings, enter BIOS and select the Load Optial Defaults setting to restore defaults.

Perhaps something here will help you: Optical Disk Drive is not recognized in Microsoft Windows or other applications | Dell US

Regarding Cortana, pls see: Cortana and Taskbar Search not working in Windows 10