DougG is offline New Member

Default Problem Displaying Icons and Thumbnails in Windows 10

Hello, the other morning I turned on my computer to find that none of the program icons were displaying on my desktop or taskbar, nor were file thumbnails displaying in file folders. Everything (programs on desktop and files) still had their names displayed so I am able to access them, but I can't see their icons which is incredibly annoying.

I've been searching around for solutions and even tried the Windows Club Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder but nothing seems to work. I think this is because I don't seem to have any icon database files. Moreover, I don't seem to have an Appdata folder under my account. Rather, there is a folder called "Default.migrated" in the Users folder next to my account folder. This folder has all the folders that, I'm given to understand, lead up to the folder which should have the icon database files in them, including AppData, but navigating to the end of this chain of folders yields an empty folder called "Windows".

If anyone has any insight as to why my icon database is screwed up or how to fix it, I welcome your suggestions. I should mention I am using Windows 10.

Thank You!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

DougG is offline New Member

Thank you for your advice but unfortunately these steps did not solve my problem. I did reboot after each attempt.