Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By billman87
  • 2 Post By mrhifi

Thread: Optical drives appear and disappear after Windows 10 update

mrhifi is offline New Member

Default Optical drives appear and disappear after Windows 10 update

I have tried all the remedied offered online as they fix trouble only temporary. I have two optical drives in my desktop. They worked fine until the latest WINDOWS 10 update. As stated, Optical drives appear and disappear after Windows 10 update on Jan 12th and I have tried all the fixes that I have seen online and the continue to disappear from devices and my pc folder...just like they never were there. And then miraculously they appear all by themselves.... any I mean any help would be appreciated. I am at my wits end!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and see if it helps you. This post gives more suggestions: CD or DVD drive not working or not reading in Windows 10

billman87 is offline New Member

Question Suspected CD/DVD filter driver Problem

I have experienced this on every version of Windows since XP took me weeks to find a solution initially.
    The article from the Microsoft Support website mentions Vista but has resolved missing CD\DVD drives for me on Windows 7 to.
    Personally my experience with DVD drives in 10 has been extremely limited and most often an external USB but they suffer this issue to.

support.microsoft.com - 929461 - the-cd-drive-or-the-dvd-drive-does-not-work-as-expected-on-a-computer-that-is-running-windows-vista

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start button , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Warning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.

If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    More information about this problem can be found by googling "CD/DVD filter driver"
    I am not sure why this bug still exists or what triggers it or even if it is your issue but your symptoms are familiar.
    Good Luck I hope this helps.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

mrhifi is offline New Member

Thank you for the response, but I finally figured it had to do with the Win 10 fast boot....it was not completely loading everything in the time allotted to fast boot loading. I was earlier having a problem of the sign-in screen going to sleep, and was advised it was the fast foot option causing the problem. I was just having to turn power off and restarting pc and it would work ok. In the next win update the problem with that was fixed.

SO I thought to try disabling fast boot and allow it the extra time to load and see what happened. Well all my optical drives have reappeared. So far I have several cycles of on-off power on pc and so far so good.....
    billman87 and HappyAndyK like this.