Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aspie

Thread: Disable Cortana, Edge, Contact Support & remove them from Windows 10 Start Menu

Aspie is offline New Member

Default Disable Cortana, Edge, Contact Support & remove them from Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi guys

After trying all the methods previously used to remove Cortana and Edge on Windows 10 Pro, none will work on version 1607.

I was trying again last night as the fact they are still there is annoying me, and quite by accident I found a way to do it on my computer. Can't guarantee it will work on everyone's but this is the method I used. Someone else can test it if they would like as I am used to following "How To" details to do things as I am not an expert and get a lot from The Windows Club and Winaero.

You may need to run as Administrator if it asks but you do not need to take ownership of anything.

Firstly, I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1607, have UAC disabled and do not use Windows Firewall or Defender as I use a third party internet security. My start menu is StartisBack as I extremely dislike Metro. My default web browser is also a third party browser. All Apps have been uninstalled except Cortana, Edge, Contact Support and Connect, Store and Settings. If you right click and uninstall the first three they just appear again. I still can not uninstall Connect however the following disabled Cortana and Edge, Contact Support and also removed them from the start menu Apps list.

Right click taskbar and open Task Manager. Click on the Services tab and find SearchUI

Now open Windows Explorer, Click on the dropdown box and enter:

C:\Windows\SystemApps and you will see:-

C:\Windows\SystemApps\ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wek yb3d8bbwe
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw 5n1h2txyewy

Right click on Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy and rename it to:

Bak_Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

This will open a message saying it cannot rename and try again. Leave this message waiting and now go back to the Services you opened. Right click on SearchUI and end Process Tree. Go back to your Windows message and click try again and it will allow the name change.

Now with Microsoft Edge and Contact Support it was just the case of renaming them to:

Bak_Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Bak_ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy

If you try to use them in the Start Menu they will not work now.

Restart your PC and all three will be totally disabled and missing from the start menu Apps.

SearchUI is now missing from Services and Cortana is missing from Processes.

Although I use a third party PC search tool normally, the search in the Start Menu actually still works too.

That's it. I have found no problems and everything is still working fine.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

Are you facing any other problems after making these changes?