Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DeborahJ
  • 1 Post By Bung
  • 1 Post By Bung

Thread: Windows.old folder in Windows 10 Creators Update

Bung is offline New Member

Default Windows.old folder in Windows 10 Creators Update

Oh my, I come onto this forum for the first time trembling in my socks. My question has to do with what Windows update (Creators update) does with the Windows.old directory. Some are saying it will vapourize after 10 days, some say after 30 days. Mine has passed the 10 day mark so obviously it doesn't disappear at that point.

I realize I can remove it with Disk Cleanup but do you happy folk recommend doing that? Windows is working flawlessly. Also, something I find kind of weird and wonderful. I had about 48 Gigs free on my drive before the update. I have 42 now. But the Windows.old Directory is showing 32 Gigs. Something in the Math isn't adding up. If I remove this .old Directory, that will put me at roughly 70 Gigs free. Something isn't make sense with the numbers. Any idea as to what I'm missing?

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

As a matter of abundant precaution, I'd suggest you wait and let Windows 10 delete it for you automatically after the time period is over.

If you need more information, get it here - Delete or remove Windows.old folder after Windows Upgrade

And oh, sometimes the math in Windows just doesn't add, so I wouldn't worry much about it.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

Good. Thank you for the reply. I've read where someone did it with CCleaner and their computer wouldn't reboot afterwards. Therefore I shall take your advice.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

Here's a news flash regarding the Windows.old folder and the Windows10Upgrade Folder. Not 10 nor 30 days but 14 days after Creators Update was installed onto this laptop, Windows has automatically emptied the folders in Windows.old.
    But the Folders are still there with its subdirectores. When I right click on each Folder, it shows 0 content. So is there a known reason why these Folders are still showing? This happened to me last time around with the Anniversary Update and I used CCleaner to remove them. After rebooting the computer, I was overwhelmed with great joy because the computer would not reboot. It was slam dunk cold.
    For some strange reason, I really don't want to experience that again. My question is, should I leave those things alone or is there a way to safely remove them without doing damage to whatever?

Since I cannot edit my post, I might add when I do the Disk Cleanup or Cleanup System Files, no previous installations is showing. I've clicked on "show hidden files" and nothing extra shows in the Windows.old folder.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Play safe, do it after say, 15 days once you are sure all is working fine.

Done! I woke up this morning to find I had gained a whole 15 Gigs of free space because Windows had done its thing. Two things that have my mind in gear. One being, when I clicked on the Windows.old a couple days ago, it was showing 32 Gigs in the Directory. After cleaning up that Directory, I gained 15 Gigs of space. Why the difference.
    The other thing is, why does one gain extra space with an upgrade? I would have thought to the Drive shrink a bit.
    Here's the other exciting thing. The two Folders are remaining still, one being Windows.old showing zero content and the Windows10Upgrade is still there. I read where Microsoft is informing all to leave those Folders. I also called and indeed that is correct. I was told the new rules now are that Microsoft is asking those two Folders be not removed unless one enjoys having their computer not rebooting.
    It took me a while to make up my mind but after long and careful consideration, I thought I really didn't want a computer that didn't reboot. Sure, if I were bored or something like that, I'd remove them and delete half of the Registry but not today.
    What do you folks think of Microsoft's decision to leave those Folders in? They're saying it caused some havoc on the Anniversary update with computers not rebooting after those Folders were removed. I was one of them.
    HappyAndyK likes this.