Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vasudev

Thread: Issues with Internet at home on Windows 10

ZedZesty is offline New Member

Default Issues with Internet at home on Windows 10

My desktop computer has an incredibly spotty internet connection on my home internet. I got back from college, where my desktop worked perfectly with both the Wi-Fi and Ethernet, but now that I'm back home the connection is constantly flickering on and off or is unable to find my home's Wi-Fi at all.

This has been an issue since last year. My desktop formerly worked fine with my home internet, but I upgraded to Windows 10 at College, and ever since then its had major issues with my home Wi-Fi. My laptop, which also runs Windows 10, runs fine typically, so I'm utterly baffled at what's causing these issues.

Would adore advice.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Links to get you going. Run the Windows Network Troubleshooter and see if it helps.
    WiFi does not work after upgrading to Windows 10
    Windows 10 cannot connect to Internet

ZedZesty is offline New Member

I appreciate the help, but none of those issues are what's causing it. I did run troubleshooter, and what happens is that it will be able to find the internet connection again and I'll be able to reconnect, but only for a few seconds and it crashes instantly, at typically.

The troubleshooter did mention there being a wire or something loose on the router, if that's any clue? As far as I can tell, the router's set up correctly and running fine, and my laptop connects to it just fine.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZedZesty View Post
    I appreciate the help, but none of those issues are what's causing it. I did run troubleshooter, and what happens is that it will be able to find the internet connection again and I'll be able to reconnect, but only for a few seconds and it crashes instantly, at typically.

The troubleshooter did mention there being a wire or something loose on the router, if that's any clue? As far as I can tell, the router's set up correctly and running fine, and my laptop connects to it just fine.
    Check for loose connections of ethernet cable connecting your desktop to router. Remove the cable from both ends and reconnect, you should hear the click sound of the jack so that it is secured properly..if not change the cable or ensure the cable is connected properly & securely. Laptop may work fine as its wireless and your ADSL wire may be properly secured. So first check this. If its not the hardware issue then you can try this:

Is your Windows 10 up to date with latest Windows update? If not please update your Windows 10. As I remember there was a KB released to fix the wifi issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Also hoping there are no malware, virus causing it. Run AV scan and check for malware etc.
    Also try these commands: Open Command prompt from Start > Windows System > Command Prompt > right clcik >more > Run as Admin

At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
    Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

And restart and check if it helps.
    HappyAndyK likes this.