Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sas

Thread: ShellExecuteEx Failed; code error 8235. A referral was returned from the server

Sas
    Sas is offline New Member

Red face ShellExecuteEx Failed; code error 8235. A referral was returned from the server

i just reinstalled my PC and was trying to make some modifications in local group and security policies. Now i can't install a simple software like screen-captor on my machine.

Each time i try to, i receive a message like this "ShellExecuteEx Failed; code error 8235. A referral was returned from the server."

Some times i'll receive something like, The system Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

Please i need HELP.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Here are a few things you could try. But first, create a system restore point.

1] Right-click on the installer and Run it as administrator.

2] Temporarily disable UAC and see.

3] Run the installer or program in Compatibility Mode and check.

4] Run the built-in Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter and see if it helps.
    More details here: Cannot install or uninstall programs in Windows 10/8/7

5] Open gpedit.msc and navigate to the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.

Here disable User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated setting and see.

If nothing works or helps, you may go back to the created system restore point to reverse the changes made.

Sas
    Sas is offline New Member

Hey, thanks so much for your help, i disabled the setting in the User Account Control and it worked.
    HappyAndyK likes this.