Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spiritguid

Thread: ntoskrnl process CPU usage is HIGH on Windows

spiritguid is offline New Member

Default ntoskrnl process CPU usage is HIGH on Windows

ntoskrnl.exe CPU usage spikes up to about 40% sometimes when downloading anything. But usually spikes to around 7% will just generally usage of the system. It's not suppose to use that much and I wouldn't mind it using that much if it didn't lag the whole pc even at 7%. I've tried turning off superfetch, runtime broker. Also have changed the memory managment thing in the registry and ran both System File Checker and DISM. Also used the refresh OS option which is suppose to pretty much be like a new install but that didn't work either.

P.S. Used Driver Booster 4 to make sure all my drivers were up to date. And have disabled my firewall while trying to downloading things. This also only started after installing the creators update before I did the refresh OS.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

By the memory management thing, I assume that you changed the value of ClearPageFileAtShutDown registry key.

I assume that you have run the usual like running an antivirus scan, defragging the hard drive and running the built-in Performance Troubleshooter.

Open an elevated Command Prompt, type the following and hit Enter to run the Performance Troubleshooter.

msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic
    Now this usually happens due to memory leak caused by some some faulty device driver.

Does this happen when you perform a Clean Boot? If not then it surely some non-Microsoft process causing this issue. The Clean Boot State will help you identify the offender manually.

Also try disabling the Windows Search service and see.

Okay, I haven't replied cause I thought I had fixed the issue. I updated my network driver and everything was working fine. Until I shut down my pc and turned it back on, the problem occurred again even though the driver is still installed. Now the funny thing is if I uninstall the driver then reinstall it and restart the pc I don't get the problem anymore...until I shut down my pc again. Also I can't run msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic, I get "Sorry, this troubleshooter doesn't work with this version of windows" " We disabled this troubleshooter because it won't work on this pc"

I got the troubleshooter to work but it didn't find anything.

Ok just found out that I don't even have to uninstall then reinstall the driver to not get the issue. If I cold boot the system I get the issue. If I boot the system then restart the issue is gone for some reason.
    Shenmue likes this.

Shenmue is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by spiritguid View Post
    Ok just found out that I don't even have to uninstall then reinstall the driver to not get the issue. If I cold boot the system I get the issue. If I boot the system then restart the issue is gone for some reason.
    Its strange because you don't change anything on registry.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think you need to perform a Clean Boot and manually identify the offending process that is causing this.