vdolcourt is offline New Member

Default Start Menu problem: ShellExperienceHost & Cortana Need To Be Installed Correctly

Bottom line is the Start Menu won't launch. I ran the Start Menu Troubleshooter per the recommendation of the MS Tech who answered my query. The troubleshooter found two errors but did not fix either: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost And Microsoft.Windows.Cortana Applications Need To Be Installed Correctly.

The Microsoft tech's recommendation was to reset my PC, which would of course, wipe out all of the installed applications. Re-installation would be a difficult and time consuming task. Surely, there must be a way to re-install the two offended pieces of software within Windows 10. Something installed them in the first place. You would think ....!

What did I do to get up to this point? I ran sfc / scannow and DISM . Both completed without an error, but neither fixed the issue. Neither did creating a new user. The problem is not the user profile.

Is there a fix for what appears to be a fragile element in Windows 10?

Thank you for any ideas.

Vic

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default ShellExperienceHost And Cortana Applications Need To Be Installed Correctly

You may need to re-register Start Menu as well as Cortana. Create a system restore point first. Then open an elevated PowerShell window. Type the following and press Enter:

Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Also see these:
    Start Menu does not open or not working in Windows 10
    Critical Error Your Start Menu isn't working in Windows 10
    Start Menu, Cortana and Taskbar Search not working in Windows 10