ZedZesty is offline New Member

Default HID.dll and WINSOCK.DLL files are missing

Recently, my computer has been refusing to launch programs, notably Google Chrome, and has been citing an issue with files ending in DLL. When launching Chrome, it specifically states the issue is with "HID.DLL", but I've also seen an issue with a file called "WINSOCK.DLL", or something like that.

Any advice?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

HID.dll is a Windows OS files that are located in the Windows folder. Winsock.dll too is a system file that is used in the TCP/IP stack.

Reinstall Chrome and see. Reinstall any program that throws up this error message and see.

If you see these files in your Windows folder, re-register these two DLL files and see.

More suggestions here: How to fix Missing DLL files errors on Windows 10/8/7 PC

Thank you for the help. I've tried a few of the fixes, including reregistering the files. It appears the files are definitely in my computer and not missing, but as best I can discern something is corrupted, and I can't tell whether it's those files or something else. I've tried running a few scans and they all end aborting around the 40% mark. The error message for the scan specified in the reregister tutorial says there's something wrong with something in the System 32 file/folder.

Any further advice?

I've seen some info on redownloading these files, is there any chance I could redownload a file and replace the corrupt file, or is my best bet trying to repair the corrupt files?

vasudev is offline Moderator

Which scans have you run?
    Have you tried to run the System File Checker tool? This will try to repair missing or corrupted system files.
    For this: From Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow , press Enter
    This will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files. Do not close the command prompt window till the scan is complete. At the end you will get the message and you can see if there are any issues of missing or corrupted system files or not.
    If this is not the case, one can try something else like doing this scanning in Safe mode...

I've tried running the scan in the command prompt as administrator a few times. The scan aborts each time, the most recent reason stated being, "Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation", which showed up at the 37% mark.

I haven't tried doing this in safe mode, though, how would I do that?

keira0607 is offline New Member

Default HID.dll and WINSOCK.DLL files are missing

Well, in this case try running the SFC scan in safe mode you can also run the CHKDK (check disk) command. This will check the integrity of your hard disk and fix various file system errors.

Follow the steps to do so:

1. Type cmd in the search box from Start menu. And right-click on Command Prompt to choose Run as administrator
    2. Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control
    3. Now, type chkdsk /r in the open Command Prompt window > press Enter to run it.
    4. When asked to schedule checking disk, enter y.
    5. And Close the Command Prompt window your PC.
    6. This will start checking disk and fix the errors detected automatically.

Hope this will help you, apart from that it is also possible that WINSOCK.DLL and HID.DLL accidentally gets deleted. So check your recycle bin and try to restore it from there.

Good Luck!!!

Thank you, I'll give that a shot!