montana is offline New Member

Default How to fix Windows Update error 0xc000000d in Windows 10

I am having a problem with the Windows 10 version 1703 update. Windows 10 Update Fails with error 0xc000000d. I have been thru this cycle several times.

The update process appears to complete successfully, and I get the request to restart. The restart happens but terminates in a blue screen that says:

Recovery

Your PC/Device Needs to be Repaired

An unexpected error has occurred

0xc000000d

You need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

The only way I have found to get my PC back is to reboot, which brings me back at my current version 1607, build 14393.1593.

I next run the Windows Update Troubleshooter which results in four problems detected and fixed:

Service registration missing or corrupt
    Potential Windows update database error detected
    Windows update components must be repaired
    Check for pending updates.

But the request to install the update keeps coming back, always with the same result.

All this is happening on an Acer 1700 with a Pentium Dual CPU E2220 and 4GB of ram.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some direction on this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Clear contents of Software Distribution folder and reset Catroot2 folder.

Once you have done thos, try and see if it has helped.

Sispam1 is offline New Member

How are we supposed to do any of this when you can't get past the blue screen? We know how to fix it once you can get past the blue screen you can't get to anything else how do you get past the blue screen?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Oops. You have to access the Advanced Boot Options screen lets you start Windows in advanced troubleshooting modes. Start your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key before Windows starts. You will see the Advanced options screen.

Here you will be able to carry out System Restore or Startup Repair or even boot in Safe Mode and then access File Explorer. Details here: Advanced Startup options Windows 10. Change Boot defaults when dual-booting