mik_m is offline New Member

Question Right click New Folder creates Shortcut instead!

Hello Gurus

I’m having a bit of trouble with Windows 10 on my PC.

A few days ago, I lost the ability to create new items on my Desktop (eg right click>New>Word document). I did a quick Google search and found it was a common problem associated with the loss of a Registry value {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} in the ‘New’ key under ‘Shellex’. I then downloaded a fix from somewhere and presto! I could then right click and create new items again.

But, while I can now create new items, something has happened to the ‘New>Folder’ command. When I right click on the Desktop and select New>Folder or I try to create one via the Home>New Folder or Home>New Item>Folder commands in File Explorer, the ‘Create Shortcut’ wizard appears instead of a Folder being created. My guess is that one of the Registry values is pointing towards creating a Shortcut rather than a Folder but I don’t know which Key to look at. I have another Windows 10 PC that I can export a working Key from if only I knew where to look!

So far, I have imported and replaced the following Keys and Values on the broken PC from the known working PC:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\sh ellex
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellNew

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Direc tory\background\shellex
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Direc tory\shellex
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folde r\shellex
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folde r\ShellNew

I have also made sure that the Key ‘New’ under ‘ContextMenuHandlers’ has the value {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} wherever that Key occurs.

As well as playing with the Registry directly, I have tried a System Restore to my last known good configuration, run a Registry cleaner, run a Registry repairer, full virus scan, and a full malware scan. Nothing has helped.

I’m no expert at this stuff and have spent days scouring sites for an answer but it seems no-one else has had a problem like this before. I really don’t want to do a fresh install for something so small as everything else on the PC is running fine. But having to run a Command Prompt every time I want to create a folder is getting a bit painful!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

You see to have tried it all. Create a system restore point and see if this fix works for you. Restore missing NEW context menu item in Explorer

mik_m is offline New Member

Hi Pankay

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried the fix you suggested but no luck.

When I first lost the ability to create and new items from the context menu I downloaded a number of similar fixes and applied them (can't remember where from otherwise I could reverse engineer the problem). I now have the option to create a New Folder but when I select this, it brings up the create Shortcut wizard.

I am temporarily getting around the issue with a batch file of my desktop (using 'md' as the command) but I suspect that to resolve it properly I will need to do a reinstall. Still researching the best way to do this as I would prefer not to lose any apps or settings and my Win 10 is an upgrade from Win 7 Pro so I don't have install disks. Do you have any thoughts on a non-destructive reinstall on an upgraded Win 10 o/s?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Michael.