alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Default Clear, reset or delete Windows Media Library .wmdb files

This post shows how to clear, reset or delete Windows Media Library .wmdb files to fix Windows Media Player video, library, media problems in Windows 10/8/7.

I usually like to keep my media library properly tagged and arranged. And the best app to do so is MediaMonkey with some user created scripts. You can do the management in minutes what would otherwise take you hours on Windows Media Player.

But for Media Playback, i prefer WMP for the ease of use, and hence the need to keep the library in WMP properly indexed.

In Windows 7, probably due to the system wide library introduction (not to mention that it is afterall a beta!), sometimes WMP does not index your music library! I have faced this problem a few time as i manually delete the library when WMP wont update the tags i edited in MediaMoneky automatically.

So if WMP won't automatically index your library, here's what i do to fix the problem.

1. Open "Services" from the Start Menu / Control Panel, and stop the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service".

2. Now navigate to "%Userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player".

3. Delete all the "Windows Media Library (.wmdb)" types of file inside that folder.

4. Done! Now simply open WMP and it should start indexing your library again.
    UPDATE: You can also try out this ATS Fix from Microsoft mentioned below to let it fix the problem for you automatically.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 16th December 2011 at 13:36. Reason: Updated

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks man ! Should help guys stuck up with this issue ...

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

No probs andy!
    Love such stuck ups though Provide for a nice challenge to find a way around them

sp00kie is offline New Member

Thank You everso much!!!!!.I upgraded from xp pro to windows 7 but couldn't see my music files in either WMP or WMC.everthing was pointing to the right folders etc.Microsoft help was useless.But I stumbled across your advice and gave it a try.hey presto all the files rebuilt correctly and I have a fully working WMP and WMC.Would just add for newbies that if you open the run command (start,all programs, accessories, run) enter (step 2,) %Userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player click ok This will take you directly to the file you want.once here if your not sure, cut and paste all to a temp file on your desktop. You can delete this file afterwards, or delete as instructed above.

y0himba is offline Beginner

Will this force the libraries to start updating automatically again? Or does this need to be done every time I media?

My Video library has not been auto updating, so I would open libraries (click start, type Libraries hit hit enter), right click the library and choose properties, then remove the folders, hit apply, then click restore defaults and poof, it re-indexes my videos adding any changes.

You can do this with any library, and it is much easier than browsing the appdata folder.

y0himba is offline Beginner

This forces the media library to update again, at least in my case.

Also, it helps with media sharing on a PS3 when you get the DLNA error from too many songs.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You can also try out this ATS Fix from Microsoft to let it fix the problem for you automatically.

What it fixes?

•Windows Media Player may not be set up correctly and may not run as expected. Windows Media Player may have to run the first time setup to correct settings.
    •The settings for Windows Media network streaming may be corrupted. This prevents streaming video or audio from playing.
    •Windows Media Player Library may be corrupted. This causes media browsing and search problems in Windows Media Player.
    •Nero Video Burning Plugin is incompatible with Windows Media Player 11 or newer versions, and may cause Windows Media Player 11 or newer to crash or stop responding.
    •Windows Media Player 11 does not start, or some UI elements are blank.
    •CD/DVD player is not working with Windows Media Player.
    •Unable to install Windows Media Player 10 or 11.
    •Videos are displaying "PICVideo M-JPEG 3, www.accusoft.com" or "PICVIDEO, WWW.JPG.COM" overlay.