Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Question How to change the default path of your Music Folder

In the main I run a laptop which I find convenient but the storage used to be a problem,but these days they seem to be giving it away.In my local Tescos (a Supermarket) I picked up a 1TB Western Digital usb hard drive for 45 unbelievable...thats the background now I need help I want to make the new drive my music location is it possible to make it my generic music folder and scrap the C drive one rather than have to copy everything over....

Peace....Newy

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Start > right click on "Music" in the right pane > Properties > Location tab > Move > select your new disk where you should have the corresponding folders defined. Works also with Videos, Documents, Pictures.

Ive jus got around to trying this but cant see the location tab I already use mediamonkey to manage the database but as always there forum seems to go over my head does anyone else use mediamonkey who could talk me through moving my music folder so that it is stored on external HD

Peace....Newy

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I assume your using Vista or 7.

Open Windows Explorer and create a folder on the external drive called My Music.

Navigate to the Music folder on the main hard drive. Expand that folder and right click on the My Music folder.

Click Properties.

Now you should see the Location Tab.

Click Move and select the new MY Music folder on the external drive.

whs

Btw: it will copy all the files over - regardless what approach you are using. I am not sure what this MedaiMonkey has done to your folder. Seems to be real monkey business - LOL.
    However, if you use Windows7, the whole matter is easy. Just crreate a Music folder on your new external and move everything over. Use this: Add Copy To / Move To on Windows 7 or Vista Right-Click Menu :: the How-To Geek - then open the folder and on top of the page you will say "include in Library" (you can also right click on the folder to get this option). Just click that and choose the music library. That is the beauty of the library concept. You can include folders from any source into the libraries.

Right superb as always gentlemen,my only other ask is can I now delete the original C:\users music folder because I want this to become the generic place that all music is put....

Peace...Newy

whs

You can delete the folders - but not the library. If you delete the library, you'll get a problem. (still assuming you have Win7 - you never said).

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Another way ... try this:

Open regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Now in RHS panel, double click on the 'My Music' String and enter the new desired path.

Close > Exit > Reboot.

This wa y you can alter the default paths of your User folders.

Sorry I am running seven and thank you for all your help Andy just put the cherry on top by letting me change the path ...superb this really is without question the best forum on the web...Im so honoured to be amongst such knowledgable people who explain things the right way without you getting the feeling your being talked down upon...THE BEST

Peace....Newy

whs

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Another way ... try this:

Open regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Now in RHS panel, double click on the 'My Music' String and enter the new desired path.

Close > Exit > Reboot.

This wa y you can alter the default paths of your User folders.
    I am not sure whether that is of much help in Win7 because the shell folder only points to the main Library. Individual sub-libraries that may reside elsewhere cannot be addressed - at least I do not see how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast