Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loz
    Loz is offline New Member

Question How to uninstall windows 7 ultimate & revert back to windows 7 home premium

My partner just upgraded his computer to win7 ultimate from win7 home premium. however he doesn't like it and wants to revert back to the win7 home premium. Is there any way of doing this and possibly getting back all his old files? He did not backup his files before doing it (I know, silly silly). Thanks!

iMav is offline Gold Member

You mean Vista or you actually mean going back from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Home Premium? And out of curiosity, what exactly didn't he like in Windows 7 Ultimate compared to Windows 7 Home Premium?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hi Loz,

AFAIK, there is no way to downgrade from a higher version to a lower Windows 7 version. You will have to go for a clean install.

But wait for a day or two to get some few more answers

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Microsoft does not allow the downgrading of builds but there is a (hack) you can do that will enable you to downgrade. So yes according to this site it is possible, but I have not tried it personally

Try this tutorial here

Loz

hmmmm,total bummer if he can't downgrade. I might try that Hack that someone mentioned, although could be a little risky. He didn't like Win7 ultimate primarily because he lost all of his files for his business. Will keep waiting to see if someone comes up with a miracle. Fingers crossed.

iMav is offline Gold Member

If you upgrade from Windows Vista/7 to Windows 7 you don't lose your files. Windows when upgraded creates a folder called Windows.old when you upgrade so all your files should be there.

And here's a procedure to revert back, this will only work if there is a Windows.old folder afaik -- How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

Loz

Thanks imav. Have managed to find everything important through the windows.old file with the help of a knowledgable friend. Thanks again.

vasu.jain is offline Microsoft MVP

Why someone woulld move from the Ultimate to lower version ?

ameya is offline Beginner

my question is what is ur friend going to do with that unused win 7 ultimate licence.. is he going to give it away

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Come to think of it, there are some quite obvious reasons why a lot of people want to downgrade their Windows 7 Ultimate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast