Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Plopper is offline Beginner

Default Ready Boost Question For Windows 7

I have started using Ready Boost to try and speed things up a bit, thing is that as I'm using a 4gb memory stick for this I don't really want to have it entered into the directroy tree all the time, is there any way I can hide it?

I know I can remove the drive letter in Manage/Disk Management, but will that make it unusable to Ready Boost?

I had a look into hiding the thing with the hidden bit but can't find it in the propperties?

Any ideas guys?

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I got this from a website and tested it on my flash-drive that I have dedicated to ReadyBoost and it does work to hide the drive from view. Can still go to Device Manager and locate it there. Also shows how to unhide it

Hide Any Drive In 3 Steps - TutZone

Hope this helps

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Does this help you ??? Hide Drives in Windows 7

They work great thanx, but aren't BOTH of those ways of doing it exactly the same as using Manage/Disk Management?

Also once you have hidden the pen drive, is there any way of telling if the thing is still being used for Ready Boost other than just guaging any speed increase to your system?

Ramesh.MVP is offline New Member

Hi Plopper,

The method posted by Matrix is different from the one posted by L.W. Personally, I'd try the second one, the "NoDrives" Policy value which takes a bitmask value. The "NoDrives" value is well-documented at the following MS page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc938267.aspx
    (Good thing is that you can apply this as a per-user setting)

And you have a NoDrives value calculator site (not from MSFT) here:

http://wisdombay.com/hidedrive/index.php

Apply the edit, logoff and logon back. The drive should vanish from Explorer environment, but continue to be available for applications.

P.S: I don't have a ReadyBoost supported flash drive at the moment to test; I'm thinking that ReadyBoost would still work with the hidden drive.

Hey guys, just a quick update, I've desided to just live with the device in the directory tree for now as I can't for the life of me figure out when I hide the drive letter, by whichever method I use if Ready Boost is still running?

Also I've bought a 16gb Kingston Data Traveler for the job now.

So I can now confirm that both a 4gb and a 16gb Kingston Data Traveler work great with Ready Boost.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plopper View Post
    Hey guys, just a quick update, I've desided to just live with the device in the directory tree for now as I can't for the life of me figure out when I hide the drive letter, by whichever method I use if Ready Boost is still running?

Also I've bought a 16gb Kingston Data Traveler for the job now.

So I can now confirm that both a 4gb and a 16gb Kingston Data Traveler work great with Ready Boost.
    1. there is no need to use a 16GB drive for ready boost. Anything over 2GB is a waste of money. Your pagefile is about twice the size of your RAM so only the amount equivalent to your RAM size goes on the stick. On the other hand, for more than 2GBs of RAM. Ready Boost has no advantage unless you use very unusual applications and enlarge the pagefile manually.

2. if your 16GB Kingston is the same as mine, you better check the performance data with HD Tune. My stick has a miserable performance and is much slower than my disk - check your disk too and compare. The whole Ready Boost could be counterproductive.

Thanx for the info, I'll look into it!

So I have 4gb memory, and a 2gb page file last time I looked.

Do you think that splitting the drive into two and having half for Ready Boost and half for the page file (or another programs cache maybe) could work?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

1. The first thing to examine is the speed of your stick. If it is slow, it will be counterproductive to use it for anything other than data backup.
    2. With 4GB of RAM, there would be zero (most likely negative) effect on your performance if you enable ready boost. There is absolutely nothing to be gained. If you look into your Process Monitor (memory tab), you will see that most of your RAM is unused all the time (the dark and lighblue parts). The dark blue is for caching, but technically that is "available" RAM. On the same page higher up look at "Hard Faults". As long as that is zero (which it will most likely be), there is no paging activity at all. So all you would buy from enabling Ready Boost is the instruction overhead that this generates.
    3. Are you sure your page file is 2GBs. It should be 4GB - but in your case (4GB of RAM), it does not really matter unless you were to run very extreme applications (e.g. CAD).

This is my Benchmark for my Kingston, that is good yes?

Bugger I can't post urls???

Transfer Rate - Min - 14.8 Max - 33.3 - Avg - 30.6

Access Time - 1.2 ms

Burst Rate 14.3

CPU Usage -1.0%

Page 1 of 2 12 Last