Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By finkey

Thread: Anybody know how to correct Action Center's bogus "Backup in Progress" message?

ChicoThorn is offline New Member

Cool Anybody know how to correct Action Center's bogus "Backup in Progress" message?

Action Center reports that a "Backup is in Progress" when in fact there is no backup in progress at all. This all began while experimenting with Windows 7's Backup and Restore control panel... I started a backup, then changed my mind and tried to cancel it... which I was able to do eventually, but now the Action Center System Tray Icon displays a Clock over its Flag icon with the message that there is a "Backup in Progress" even though there is not. Many others have been experiencing this from what I gather on other Windows 7 forums, but no one seems to have a solution. Microsoft has provided no help with this annoying problem... Perhaps your team of excellent app-writers know how to fix this or could provide a .exe utility that will restore the Action Center & Backup and Restore to their default nonactive status? Thanks!

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center

In Left Navigation click Change Action Center Settings
    Check Windows Backup and click Ok

finkey is offline New Member

Had the same problem, but found a way for Windows 7 Pro.

Start another backup. Let it settle down and get started. Then cancel it. This clears the little clock and the message on the Action Center in the system tray. I read somewhere that Action Center remembers the state it was in if Backup is interrupted by a power failure or a restart. It will retain the message until the backup is resumed and completed, or resumed and cancelled.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by finkey; 12-18-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: correct typo
    Elmer B. likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Thanks for posting your inputs for the benefit of others.