Thread: Autoplay in Windows 7 with Explorer shell removed

allam is offline Beginner

Default Autoplay in Windows 7 with Explorer shell removed

i was working on an application that plays audio cds and dvd movies once inserted into dvd drive..

my application works standalone from the explorer shell(i use API fuctions to catch raised information from windows) so in windows xp/vista i removed the explorer shell from registry (HKLM-Software-Microsoft-WindowsNT-Currentversion-Winlogon-shell) so it wont start at boot time and i start my application instead everything works fine unless i was testing it under windows 7..

i noticed that removing the explorer shell stops the Shell Hardware Detection service leading to a disable of the autoplay feature so inserted dvds and audio cds wont be recognized and autoplayed..

PS:i tried restarting the service but it returns off.
    can you help me with this problem please ??
    thanks in advance .

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Instead of removing explorer.exe from Shell Registry... code to kill explorer once it gets start up.

allam is offline Beginner

hi r.k thanks for ur reply..it is long time i have posted this issue with no answers yet
    i tried to use this workaround but in my case i cant get it to work because i am using a shell i have created.
    so on startup i should replace the explorer.exe with mine..
    the fact i cannot understand why it is 100% working on XP/Vista but on 7 it is not working.
    please if you can even help me with another workaround that might be helpful..