jnulr is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 System Restore problem - System Restore failed to extract the original copy

Hello,

I've got a unique problem as System Restore does not work on my new HP laptop. Here's what happens:

I pick a restore point and all looks well until it's re-booted and then I get the following error message:

"System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. Source: %Systemroot%\registration Destination: ComplusStaging"

I've tried deleting all restore points, running from a normal Windows sign in as well as "Safe" mode and using the F8 key (tapping during boot) and running it from the new "repair" facility. It will create a restore point but this problem happens when you try to use the restore point.

It's been suggested from HP tech-support (questionable answers) that this computer has this problem because the version of Windows was from an upgrade for Windows 7 not an original install yet I bought this computer refurbished from ECOST as advertised with Windows 7 O.S. If I thought it had a previous O.S. of course I wouldn't have bought it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

jnulr

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Please try this and see if it helps:

Disable AntiVirus and Firewall temporarily.

Type Services in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not. A reboot may be required. Reconfirm.

Run System File checker ie Run sfc /scannow. Reboot when asked.

Now try ...

tiger is offline New Member

i have exactly the same problem with the "System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. Source: %Systemroot%\registration Destination: ComplusStaging" when i make a system restore

also with an HP machine, but this is an stationary ! The machne is an HP Pavilion p6220sc desktop pc with Windows 7 Home Edition ! In the start the system retore worked, but suddenly it didn't worked anymore, and I got the described problem in the top of this post !

did the soution HappyAndtK came with, work or want?

Would really like to know it !

Thanks !
    tiger
    Last edited by tiger; 08-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.