Atsuko is offline New Member

Default Can I use system drive image from one computer on another?

Hello.

Can I make imge clone of system drive on one computer and use this on another computer to make it main system drive on new computer? Using Acronis or any similar software? Can I do this way?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atsuko View Post
    Hello.

Can I make imge clone of system drive on one computer and use this on another computer to make it main system drive on new computer? Using Acronis or any similar software? Can I do this way?
    That will not work. An image has to go back to the system from where it was made. On another system you have to reinstall.

Ok that is not good new to me. But just want to know - why I cannot do it this way?

shlomiif is offline New Member

yes you can.
    use acronis snap deploy or acronis echo .

TeXaCo is offline Windows Enthusiast

I have done this in the past and have had success and failure at doing it. If it is coming from a similar system with similar hardware, it may work. You will just have to update certain drivers for the new system.

With that said, I also have had it fail miserably as well. If the hardware is completely different, than you might run into issues that are not able to be resolved with the drivers that are in the image compared to what the computer needs to run. I have done this and the computer was completely non-bootable.

Now, although I have done it in the past, I don't do it anymore and don't recommend you do it either. For all the work that goes into it and to only have a certain low percentage chance of it working. It is way better to reformat, especially with fast install times of windows 7.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Have you tried it? - Windows 7 Deployment using WAIK

shlomiif is offline New Member

Default you also can do this

restore the image to your different computer (the new one)
    and then run windows setup and chose repair installation

windows will reinstall the new hardware for you and keep all the rest untouch.

Ok I did fresh install.

But want to know just curious, can i use a image of disc E and then use it install it on disc C ?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Ok I did fresh install.

But want to know just curious, can i use a image of disc E and then use it install it on disc C ?
    If the disk/partition is the same size or larger, the answer is yes. If it is smaller, you have to go via cloning.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Yes, it will work depending on the tool you use.

Windows 7 has a built-in feature with which you can create a system image and restore this image on another computer. You will have re-activate your Windows I guess.

Norton Ghost is another tool that allows you to do this.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Ok I did fresh install.

I don't think that is possible. When a disc image is created, the partition tables are backed up and restored as well. But I'm not a 100% on this.