OhPee is offline New Member

Exclamation HELP! Low Disk Space warning in Windows 7

I've only had my Dell laptop since Feb 2010, and now it keeps saying low disk space for the past few months. It sometimes dosent let me download stuff because C disk drive is too full.....and i do the disk clean up and it still dosent do anything........i need help/ideas. I dont know what else to delete anymore

sunnyrep is offline New Member

Use disk clean up, disk de-fragment and install some good anti-virus
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 08-05-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Advertising

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pls see options to clear disk space and/or disable this warning at Free Up Lost Disk Space in Windows 7 & Vista

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

It would help if you posted a snip of your Disk Management. And in order to get an exact number, you should run WinDirStat That will give you an exact picture of all the files on the disk partition. But it will not show the shadowstorage (which may be your culprit). For that you go to Start > right click on Computer > Properties > System Protection (on top in the left pane) > highlight the partition in question > Configure > there you will see the "Disk space usage". If the current number is over appr. 10% of the total disk capacity, I suggest to move the slider to the left until it is 10%.
    Last edited by whs; 08-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.

amon91 is offline Beginner

Also look into stuff you've installed and no longer need. Chances are there will be stuff you forgot you even had that you don't need anymore.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

It's hard to believe that with the size of today's hard drives -even in a laptop- that it could be filled so quickly. As whs suggests, please some more info.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's hard to believe that with the size of today's hard drives -even in a laptop- that it could be filled so quickly. As whs suggests, please some more info.
    I have seen configurations where the Disk Space Usage for shadows was set at 100%. In those cases even a large partition can fill up fast.

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

I do general disk clean everyweek, on regular intervals I do optional disk clean, cleans out shadow files old restore points etc, try that option, (example) I had 88GB of disk space left I did the optional disk clean, now I have 106GB of disk left....

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I just had this happen last night on Windows 7 partition. Turned out some applications I have were using up a ton of space. I know theres tons of ways to go about it but what I did to narrow it down was go through and find out what the largest folders were and go through them and find out what files were taking up so much space.

Do you have alot of Restore Points and how much space do you have allocated for use with System Protection (as WHS suggested)
    Do you have alot of media on the laptop, Movies, Videos, Music....... (Users sometimes don't realize the space taken up if they own a digital camera and use it for video as well as taking photos and then move those files to the computer).
    Do you use a media application to build movies, such as Movie Maker, Dells media application.................. (over time these can take up a ton of space).
    Do you clean your temp files regularly. I have had instances of 6GB of space taken from files I had in a temp folder.

There are tons of instances that could be the cause for the space being used up.
    Just running Disk Cleanup won't remove alot of items though it does help.

Have you tried using CCleaner to see if it might help clean up your system and return your space?