Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Disk Defrag utility defrag MFT, Registry, Page file, etc?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Since we are talking of Registry Cleaners/Defraggers, here is a post TWC did some time back: Is Registry Cleaner & Defragmenter useful? Or is it snake oil? | The Windows Club

hispower is offline New Member

Why Is registry cleaner not safe??

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

selvan777 is offline Beginner

It is not safe because the deleting of perhaps 1 wrong entry could render Windows unusable.

But I sometimes am forced to do a clean uninstall (manually delete keys, values, and/or data) because of Windows inability to, leaving fragments of programs in the registry after doing an uninstall via the control panel which effects a clean reinstall of certain apps. Risky, you bet, but I've never messed it up that way.

But, on the other hand, I've used cleaners with success and failure within the same app.

I feel it's a personal choice, there is no correct answer as to whether you should or should not use them, there's lots of reasons either way. My take is if you are meticulous about what is about to be done by the app, you should be fine. But, if you are more likely to simply click-through to complete the task, DO NOT!

Registry cleaners ... Bad idea ! Anyway your not gonna gain lot of space by running Registry cleaners. Here it's stated the size of a Key Registry Element Size Limits (Windows) Maybe a few MB which i don't care as far as Computer run smoothly. Just clean the Temp files etc. is more than enough. Over the years most of the expert from Microsoft even the Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich has told to stay away from it years ago. Did you find any Registry cleaner from Microsoft Download site ?

So you have these issues with a registry cleaner:

If an application is installed and used only by one user, a registry cleaner run by another user will remove “invalid” entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and disable the application from working by the other user(s);
    If an application is installed by User #1, and used as well by User#2, the registry cleaner operation run by User#1 cannot remove the instances of the application created by User#2.
    On top of these technical issues that should scare you away, there is the central argument made by Mr. Russinovich: only if the registry cleaner has a sophisticated database of all application software installation registry changes would it have a chance of being safe to use. There is to my knowledge no such animal out there.

- Mark Russinovich
    Do not bother with this. It it unlikely to help, it can cause harm.
    There are no end-user benefits from running registry cleaners. Unecessary entries in the registry do no harm. This should not be a regular maintenance chore. It most certainly if done should not be automated. I hold to the singular distinction I made in the beginning: there are times that a fast registry editor with search is needed to fix a single issue under Expert hands. There is no justification for the regular use of automated registry cleaning tools; and as the results above show, they are of dubious merit as the “fix” for even one-off problems that need solving.

Bill Castner
    MS-MVP, AumHa VSOP, DTS-L
    Hope this helps !
    Last edited by Capt.Jack; 21st September 2010 at 17:14.

I don't space gain is the goal for most who run these, it's more for a smoother running OS.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Jack View Post
    Did you find any Registry cleaner from Microsoft Download site ?
    I, too, do not recommend registry cleaners. I have seen more harm than good result from their use. Although I have not heard of ill effects from it, Microsoft does include a registry cleaning option with the cleanup scanner portion of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Windows Live Help
    The clean up scanner will find obsolete temporary and registry files and tell you if itís time for you to clean up your hard disk. Removing these files not only clears up clutter on your PC, it can also help improve your computerís performance. You can choose to follow the recommendations or customize the clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    I, too, do not recommend registry cleaners. I have seen more harm than good result from their use. Although I have not heard of ill effects from it, Microsoft does include a registry cleaning option with the cleanup scanner portion of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Windows Live Help
    Windows Live OneCare !!! I though they had replaced with MSE. Thanks i never knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by selvan777 View Post
    I don't space gain is the goal for most who run these, it's more for a smoother running OS.
    Smooth running in the sense what do you mean by that ? Are you talking about speeding up the PC ? There are lot of other options that are available to speed up the PC which i honestly think Hardware upgrading is the better option. Or clear the Temp files disable visual effects etc. will speed up the PC. From Microsoft itself they have mentioned a orphan registry key won't affect the performance or harm the PC.

MS will say anything to CTA.

True, there are many options to speed things up. But, us, being the animals we are, even the one who buys the worlds most expensive computer with the latest and greatest of it all still wants to poke around and make it better...LOL

What does MS say about the person who can't do a clean/fresh install of a program previously installed due to remnants in the registry, no harm to the PC, sure, but...?

Well ! All i can do is warn ... It's your decision .. !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast