Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 7 Disk Defrag utility defrag MFT, Registry, Page file, etc?

Corrine is offline Gold Member

. . . and have a good backup!

selvan777 is offline Beginner

No wonder MS included a real working backup program in Win7...LOL

selvan777 is offline Beginner

Search for KB158658 and you'll see that even Microsoft will ask you to manually delete things.

Re4lity is offline New Member

Lightbulb Registry Changes

I have been using Tuneup Utilities for over 8 years to help keep my registry clean, and have never had one problem with it. I used to use a registry tool from Norton Utilities, before Symantec got ahold of them and screwed up all of their usefulness. With Norton I had to pick through each and every line of the registry it wanted to make a change to, just in case it picked something stupid to delete, which was often. So I was in the habit of double checking each line when I discovered Tuneup Utilities back around 2004. I checked every sinfgle line, and only ever came upon something I thought was questionable, but when I checked the actual entry in the registry, it was usually correct in wanting to delete it.

So now I've been using their registry cleaner for over 5 years without ever having to make a change before it does its thing, and have no problems whatsoever! In fact, I use it time and again to tune up other peoples computers and laptops when they tell me of their frustration working with a slow system. They always rave about how much more speed they have! Of course I make backups of the registry, one on a different partition, and one on a bootable thumb drive, just in case.

Tuneup Utilities offers a 14 day free fully functional trial, so you can actually tune up your system - not just look at the changes, like so many other trial cleaners.

If you like it enough to buy it, you get 3 licenses with your purchase, so you can register it to your desktop, laptop and give one away, as I usually do.

No, I don't work for them. But they are a brand I trust. After so many great experiences with their tools (and they keep getting better every year) this is the only piece of software that I highly recommend to everyone... even noobs!

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Don't use Registry Cleaners, that's my experience

I believed using a registry cleaner would help me speed up my system and keep the registry clean. Wrong . It deleted keys and some programs stopped working.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Re4lity View Post
    I have been using Tuneup Utilities for over 8 years to help keep my registry clean, and have never had one problem with it. I used to use a registry tool from Norton Utilities, before Symantec got ahold of them and screwed up all of their usefulness. With Norton I had to pick through each and every line of the registry it wanted to make a change to, just in case it picked something stupid to delete, which was often. So I was in the habit of double checking each line when I discovered Tuneup Utilities back around 2004. I checked every sinfgle line, and only ever came upon something I thought was questionable, but when I checked the actual entry in the registry, it was usually correct in wanting to delete it.

So now I've been using their registry cleaner for over 5 years without ever having to make a change before it does its thing, and have no problems whatsoever! In fact, I use it time and again to tune up other peoples computers and laptops when they tell me of their frustration working with a slow system. They always rave about how much more speed they have! Of course I make backups of the registry, one on a different partition, and one on a bootable thumb drive, just in case.

Tuneup Utilities offers a 14 day free fully functional trial, so you can actually tune up your system - not just look at the changes, like so many other trial cleaners.

If you like it enough to buy it, you get 3 licenses with your purchase, so you can register it to your desktop, laptop and give one away, as I usually do.

No, I don't work for them. But they are a brand I trust. After so many great experiences with their tools (and they keep getting better every year) this is the only piece of software that I highly recommend to everyone... even noobs!
    The reason TuneUp Utility seems to run faster is not because they clean the registry they do some tweaking in registry values like Speeding up Menu Show Time, Speed Up Mouse Hover Time etc. Then the real time RAM optimization is proven wrong long time back there was a detailed video about Memory by Mark Russinovich he explains that clearly about such software. We are risking our system way too much for such a small improvement. Well it's my opinion there might me lot of them who disagrees with me.

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    No I have not used it, but thanks for pointing it out. I will add its link too in the blog post

Have you used it / how is it?
    I'm using Smart Defrag 2 from Smart Defrag | Best Disk Defrag Freeware | Free Defragmenter.
    Seems to work very well and also has a boot time defrag.

monk is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    In all thoe years on the PC I did never defrag any of these - just standard Defrag once per month. What am I missing.
    Btw: My system is super fast.
    This happened to three Win 7 machines that I've been asked to fix. They worked fine during the first few months, then started slowing down. My guess is that some installed programs caused the system not to be idle, which meant the scheduled defrag no longer ran, plus some drivers or programs caused the boot time and other features to slow down.

For the first problem, I recently disabled the default defrag schedule and made a new one to run the defrag during a time when the machines are not being used but regardless of whether or not the system is idle. Hopefully, this will work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123