catrahal is offline New Member

Question skating icons and flashing windows

Hi - I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the following issue:

OS is Win7 Pro 32 bit
    Machine is a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop - 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive

When I open a new message window to write an e-mail in Outlook Pro 2010, the new message window immediately flips to the taskbar and I have to go there to find it. It also slips back there sporadically when I am writing.

The issue is most obvious when I am using the games built into Win7 (Mah Jong, Solitaire, Free Cell, Spider Solitaire or Minesweeper). The game loads fine, but the window flashes frequently and the icon for the game skates back and forth in the taskbar. If another program is opened subsequent to the game and that icon is to the right of the game icon, the game icon will jump over to the end of the row so it can skate back and forth again. While it is skating I cannot click on anything anywhere.

I have reinstalled the video driver, the mouse driver, run a repair on Office, disabled softwares that I thought might be suspect, removed software that has been installed since the issue began, defragged, run a registry fix, run a virus scan and 2 different spyware scans (spy sweeper and ad aware). I'm fairly certain it is a software rather than a hardware issue, though I'll be installing a virgin HD today to confirm.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas on how to resolve?

LeeW is offline Gold Member

That's a new one on me!

Have you tried runnign the System File Checker? Start Menu\Accessories - Right-Click command prompt and select run as administrator, type sfc scannow. It wll take a bit but it will check your system files for any that may be corrupt and try to replace them.

Also though I know alot of users have been using spy sweeper and ad aware a better alternative is Malwarebytes. Download Malwarebytes Free version and run a full scan with it and see what it might pick up.

Step 1 - I have run sfc scannow and it did pick up corrupt files and made some repairs - but it didn't solve the problem. I'm moving on now to downloading Malwarebytes - thanks for the recommendation.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

On laptops, that is very often a hyper sensitivity of the scroll pad when you hover over it with your hand. Your cursor apparently sometimes runs into the "show desktop" on the bottom right. Try to adjust the sensitivity of the pad.

Thanks for the thought but I am using this machine docked and with a standard keyboard and monitor. I have not only reinstalled the Dell mouse/keyboard interface driver but the Logitech one as well. No dice! I had thought it might be due to the Wacom tablet I have attached when I am at home, but the problem is replicated when I am docked at the office too. And I have ruled out a docking problem since it also occurs when I am using the laptop by itself, both with the touchpad and if I attach a mouse. I am leaning towards a dwm.exe problem, since that seems to be the process acting up the most when I am using the softwares that are most affected.

Thank you for your help - I did now resolve the problem by removing some registry keys - I found the information on the my digitallife website - they have a piece entitled "fix windows 7 screen flashes to desktop with not responding error"