Thread: Truly wierd Icon overlay problem in Windows 7

Tantalid is offline Beginner

Exclamation Truly wierd Icon overlay problem in Windows 7

Ok..... The Icon problem I have is not repaired by deleting the icon cache and restarting the PC... What I have is desktop icons starting to show up with an Icon seemingly overlayed on it. I can see a very small bit of the Correct icon underneath for the newly installed program. I can't get rid of the problem. I've tried "changing" the icon, going to the install Folder and "Send to..." to create a desktop shorcut, but when it creates it, it has the wierd overlay...... I really hope I am saying this so it can be understood.... PLEASE Help me out.... Many Thanks ahead of time !!!!

Windows 7 Pro
    3.47 GHz Intel i5
    4 Gig Ram

Thanks again......

AER
    Wyoming, USA

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

They are probably the OS icon overlays. More on this here at: The overlay icons in Windows 7 | The Windows Club

How does your icon overlay look like? Perhaps an image would help.

Lightbulb Icon Troubles.........

Wish they were !!! Nope, but the overlaying icon reminds me of an icon that has lost it's link......

I'll take a shot of 'em and send it up..... !!!

Thanks for the reply ....

Hello once again HappyAndyK !!!

Conundrum solved....... I just remembered that a couple days ago, I had used a "tweak" program that had an option to have SMALL arrows on your icons, which I chose over the honkers that Win 7 Pro seems to like at default, SO, I figured I'd go >>back to the larger arrows to see what happened...... SO, once again to make a long story longer, This time I just opted to go with NO arrow on the icons and lo and behold, the overlay icon vanished leaving the icon that Should be there !!!! (I wonder if those arrows can get corrupted somehow ??? You ever hear of that ??? SO, done done............ Anyway.... that's that, and Thanks again for your reply and your willingness to lend a hand !

AER
    Wyoming, USA

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalid View Post
    Hello once again HappyAndyK !!!

Conundrum solved....... I just remembered that a couple days ago, I had used a "tweak" program that had an option to have SMALL arrows on your icons, which I chose over the honkers that Win 7 Pro seems to like at default, SO, I figured I'd go >>back to the larger arrows to see what happened...... SO, once again to make a long story longer, This time I just opted to go with NO arrow on the icons and lo and behold, the overlay icon vanished leaving the icon that Should be there !!!! (I wonder if those arrows can get corrupted somehow ??? You ever hear of that ??? SO, done done............ Anyway.... that's that, and Thanks again for your reply and your willingness to lend a hand !

AER
    Wyoming, USA
    Glad you're sorted.

Yes they can get "corrupted", usually because the arrow icon is replaced with a blank icon when you elect to hide the shortcut arrows. The problem lies in that it shouldn't be a blank icon, it to have something there, even if you cannot see it.

(Just re-read your post! There may have been something wrong with the small arrow icon overlay. Even though it's small. If, say you're using 48x48 icons, the overlay just has an image in the bottom corner of a 48x48 overlay icon. It can take a while for it's "deficiencies" to show up.)

I knocked one up in Photoshop that I, or anybody I know, has never had a problem with. If you feel you need it for future possible problems, I've stuck it up on MediaFire.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 24th May 2011 at 12:32.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Good to see that you identified your problem AER... and thanks for uploading the overlay icon file Elmer.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Good to see that you identified your problem AER... and thanks for uploading the overlay icon file Elmer.
    No Prob. I got sick of seeing my "no arrow" turn into a default icon or black square!

Thanks alot for the info and the fix file Elmer B.

Appreciate that !!!!