Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: Change the default location of the Documents folder in Windows

RMSoares is offline New Member

Default Change the default location of the Documents folder in Windows

I have a computer with three partitions, the first with 100GB exclusively to Windows 7 (already installed), a partition for applications and another partition for personal files (photos, text, music, movies, etc.).

I wonder how to configure the location of "My Documents", so that all users have only their personal files on drive of personal files. In Windows Explorer changed in each of the users the location of the Documents, Music, Video and Pictures.

After changed the location of the folders above, there is still the same folders in C:\users \, and there are user settings that are there defined, eg Desktop, in C:\Users\. Is there any way to move all settings and folders to another drive?
    Is there any way to do this operation automatic? for future users I will have to repeat the same operation, how can I indicate that all future users will have their settings and documents specified in this specific drive?

I installed some applications and found that some applications did not demand that the location where it was set to be installed the application, having been installed in C:\users and C:\Program Files, intended that all applications (except for windows and Office) were installed in drive applications. How do I specify that this is the default drive for installation applications? Keeping the installations of Windows + Office in this drive.

Applications installed by the administrator are available for all users or must be given access to other users ? How done?

In the drive file, which should contain the users and shared files, meant that each user only gets access their documents and shared. Where and how can make this configuration?

Thank you in advance for your help.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Default Change the default location of the Documents folder in Windows 10/8/7

How to move user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Music etc

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the special folder you wish to move located in C:\Users\<username>.

Right-click on the folder and select Properties.

Open Location tab and enter the desired new path. Click Move. It will open explorer dialog box. navigate to and select desired new location.

Or else manually enter the path.

Click Apply/OK.

You can do the same if you want to change the default location of the Documents folder in Windows.

Also see how to change default program installation directory in Windows.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
    parassidhu likes this.

Spodeworld is offline New Member

Hi,

This is a great tip. I have a SSD drive "C" and a data drive "D." I created folders in D for Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, iCloudDrive and OneDrive. It worked great for Documents, Music and Videos: They show up on This PC under D. But I have a problem with Pictures. Now when I click on the icon for Pictures under "This PC" it shows all the folder: Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, iCloudDrive and OneDrive. Any idea how I can fix this show when I click on Pictures on This Computer it only goes to the Pictures drive?

Spodeworld is offline New Member

I think it may have "hijacked" my higher level folder on D, under which has all these other folders under it, and is pointing to that drive. It is actually the "Steven" folder on D, which has all these folder under it.

Do you how I can fix this?