Thread: Dreamspark and failure to activate windows server 2008 R2 Standard

altpope is offline New Member

Question Dreamspark and failure to activate windows server 2008 R2 Standard

I can't activate Windows Server 2008 R2 downloaded from Dreamspark. Can anybody help?

I downloaded Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard from DreamSpark and also got the product key.

I tried to install the software on an empty disk. Right at the beginning of installation I am offered to install different versions of 2008, standard, enterprise, web. I chose Standard (Full Installation) and carried through the setup. Everything works fine until I try to activate the installation with the product key given by Dreamspark. At this point i get the following message:

"The present key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows Server 2008 R2.
    You must either run Windows Server 2008 R2 setup or enter a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard product key"

I find the message very weired as it seems that it tells me to install what I've already did, or the product key provided by dreamspark is wrong.

I should mention I tried to activate by phone, but they tell me the product ID is not right or sthg like that, and then I get thrown out the automated process.

I emaiedl dreamspark support 3 times ang got no reply. So now I am getting a bit desperate.

Anybody any ideas?

Many thanks
    alex

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

how many keys did you get ?

and where did you download from, was it from www.dreamspark.com or from MSDNAA ?

i“m also having problems with keys from MSDNAA (now renamed to dreamspark), i get an errormessage saying: "the product key has already been used....."
    so it looks like Microsoft has some "technical" problems regarding product keys.....

but there is no need for panic, you can use WS-2008-R2 in trialmode for a long time.

just use the "rearm-trick", then it runs for several months....

Thanks for reply hackerman1
    As a student, I downloaded the software from www dreamspark com.
    Your solution is a good temporary one indeed.
    I would like to fix the problem long term though and I find it extremely frustrating that I can't get through to Microsoft to fix it, the "support" on Dreamspark haven't replied to any of my emails.
    Does anybody know of a more reliable Microsoft email contact?

Cheers
    alex

wires is offline New Member

Alex, have you found a solution yet? I'm having the same problem, except that I initially installed a time-based eval edition.

Default resultion of sorts

I have received no replies to my emails to the support team of dreamspark. In the end I spent a day on the phone to different microsoft operators and in the end I reached the dreamspark number, here in uk 0800281221 option 3 then option 2.

The answer I got from them was they could not do anything about it and I should talk to the program administrator at my university.

Finally I got a new ISO image with a new product key which worked.

Good luck, it's a funny business this stuff.
    alex

altpope: welcome to the club ! (R2)

info about converting R2 to workstation:

Convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Workstation! -

http://www.win2008workstation.com/fo...1517c05231f608
    Last edited by hackerman1; 14th March 2012 at 20:42.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I recommend that you contact DreamSpark for resolution. https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rkonit View Post
    I recommend that you contact DreamSpark for resolution. https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/Default.aspx
    perhaps you missed altpope“s post above?

"
    The answer I got from them was they could not do anything about it and I should talk to the program administrator at my university.

Finally I got a new ISO image with a new product key which worked."

problem already solved....