Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Default Memory Clog in Windows 7?

With XP, the problem of electronic memory going fragmented was always there. So I had FreeRam always running on the operating system. Windows 7 documentation says it has its own way to dealing with the memory so that the RAM frees up as soon as an application is closed. Fine. But the problem of memory clogging up still remains. And this may not be due to the RAM exactly but due to a fragmented pagefile.

Windows always uses pagefile.sys to cache your work to speed up computer. That's what I was told when learning computers way back. I have noticed when I am multitasking among resource-intensive applications, the computer becomes dead slow after a while. Imagine you have Adobe Premiere, CorelDraw, Outlook and Tweetdeck running at the same time. After few minutes of usage, the computer becomes slow. The problem I could think of was the pagefile. This is when you just keep them open and switch to some other work. In that case, usage of computer resources should be less as they are not active.

Solution: I tried Defraggler. Right click on pagefile.sys and run Defraggler to defrag that particular file. The Windows built-in defragmentor will not help you defrag a single file. You have to run defrag on the entire drive which again will take some time. I am not pretty sure if this has been helping me really but at least the cursor will not stuck at some position keeping you waiting for "release".

The best solution at times is to restart the computer but that would mean close - shutdown - restart - open applications.

Wondering if any of you have a better method to prevent computer slowdown while multitasking with resource intensive applications.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

When something like this happens to me, I usually open the Task Manager and kill some processes.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Like what? igfxtray, persistance, hotkeys, and similar stuff is already disabled. There are SkyDrive and Google Drive running in background but I dont think they will take up much memory when idle, or would they? Skydrive keeps on checking for changes but still, occupies less RAM than Google Drive!

Outlook.exe is necessary and it checks mail every 20 min. I switched from old TD to new one on Chrome though its uncomfortable but saves on memory. Per my TaskManager, Outlook.exe and Premiere are highest consumers of both CPU and RAM. Also, Chrome has too many instances running - I guess one or more for each extension I have (in total 5 extensions). I have already changed several services to manual and disabled some. Any more pointers?