japp is offline Gold Member

Default User files on secondary HD?

I'm migrating to SSD and wonder if it's possible to have C:\Users on a secondary drive to avoid read/write and clutter on the SSD

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Moving the users folders from the default installation location is not normally recommended because it seems to mess with future OS updates. But note read/write is not a problem with new SSDs. Clutter is always a problem with any drive so you can certainly migrate your program files, My Documents folder temporary files, Page Files and other files to a different drive - or just periodically run Disk Cleanup to clear out the clutter.

japp is offline Gold Member

Thanks.
    I'm doing several clean ups of clutter every day using both CCleaner and Temp File Cleaner.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I only move the Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music. For those I make new folders on the HDD and INCLUDE (right click) those into the appropriate libraries. Then I move my stuff to those folders - but not folders that were generated by the system or by programs.

In addition, I delete the hiberfile (the command is powercfg -h off) and reduce the pagefile to 2GB. That also saves space on the SSD.

An alternate approach is to move the default location of those folders via the location tab in Properties of those folders. But that can lead to some problems. That's why I am not using that any more.