papa t is offline New Member

Default Missing operating system Windows 7

For some reason, I now can't boot up and get the message, 'missing operating system'. I put my 7 disc in an tried to repair but had no image listed. I don't want to reinstall 7 if I can help it, as I'll lose programs because I'll have to format. I've tried chkdsk from the c: prompt but that wasn't helpful, and I can't get into safe mode. I know all my files are still there, I just can't boot into the desktop. I've tried to reinstall my Dell drivers from my disc, that didn't seem to work. Really don't want to take this into the shop if I can help it. Thanks Papa t

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Default Missing operating system

Quote Originally Posted by papa t View Post
    For some reason, I now can't boot up and get the message, 'missing operating system'. I put my 7 disc in an tried to repair but had no image listed. I don't want to reinstall 7 if I can help it, as I'll lose programs because I'll have to format. I've tried chkdsk from the c: prompt but that wasn't helpful, and I can't get into safe mode. I know all my files are still there, I just can't boot into the desktop. I've tried to reinstall my Dell drivers from my disc, that didn't seem to work. Really don't want to take this into the shop if I can help it. Thanks Papa t
    Went through the process(boot mgr) you described. The first one, bootrec.exe/fixboot, I got this message:"volume does not contain a recognized file system. Be sure drivers are loaded." The other two commands completed. Thanks

Well, I bit the bullet and took my computer downtown to have it checked out, as I was getting frustrated not being able to figure out the problem. When I get it back, and if I can understand how they solved the problem, I will post it.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Sure - we'd like that!