Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: Cleaning Up the Registry (Visual Studio, Basic, C++)

ChuckR is offline Beginner

Default Cleaning Up the Registry (Visual Studio, Basic, C++)

I removed Visual Studio 10 & 11 from my C: and D: partitions. I have just uncovered dozens of references to them in the Registry. CCleaner does not find them. How can I cleanup the registry? I also tried DELETING an entry and it would not remove? Could these still be linked to some unknown program? I run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I have had feedback on other sites not to care about a dirty registry. Personally, I believe that items not required should be removed as they get in the way of the OS.

P.S. I also need to know about Visual Basic and Visual C++. Some of them are also hanging around.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I too would recommend that you leave the Registry alone.

Manually searching for and deleting registry keys could be risky. Again, some keys are protected and you therefore get no access to it.

Whatever was safe to be removed, I suppose CCleaner must have removed them. If you plan to try out some other registry cleaner, remember to create a system restore point first.
    Paul85 likes this.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    I removed Visual Studio 10 & 11 from my C: and D: partitions. I have just uncovered dozens of references to them in the Registry. CCleaner does not find them. How can I cleanup the registry? I also tried DELETING an entry and it would not remove? Could these still be linked to some unknown program? I run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I have had feedback on other sites not to care about a dirty registry. Personally, I believe that items not required should be removed as they get in the way of the OS.

P.S. I also need to know about Visual Basic and Visual C++. Some of them are also hanging around.
    Those programs also install many other support programs and tools. I use Revo Uninstaller for all uninstalls. It has a cleanup tool after the uninstall runs. I have uninstalled visual studio several times using Revo by sorting the installed program list to date installed and uninstalling all the programs installed on the date I installed visual studio.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I believe that items not required should be removed as they get in the way of the OS.
    But they don't get in the way. If you pick a book off a library shelf, were the other books in your way? Did the other books slow you down?

I happen to be a fan CCleaner because it is NOT overly aggressive. If it did not "find" some entries, that simply tells me those entries are not in the way. I agree with Andy. Just let it be.

ChuckR is offline Beginner

This triggered my concern about GARBAGE being left in the REGISTRY. It is Windows Help
    "The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts on your computer.
    Windows continually refers to the information in the registry."
    Last edited by ChuckR; 7th June 2013 at 16:02. Reason: Better Presentation