Wh Phoenix is offline New Member

Default Multiple Issues regarding SendTo, New user creation, Notepad

I am having multiple issues with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Some are only a nuisance, while others are keeping me from getting anything useful accomplished.

Send To is missing default options especially Desktop (create shortcut). Just sticking a file created with Notepad isnít enough. I have even tried tracking down what looked like the files on the install disc and copying them to the proper place. I have also found the Start Menu and Send To in more than one location. Besides directly in the user profiles I have found them under the AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows folder and the Program Data/Microsoft/Windows folder. Is this redundancy supposed to exist? If not, where is the correct location supposed to be?

Notepad is suddenly missing from the top of my Frequently Used Programs list.

I tried creating a new user last Thursday. When logging into the user profile for the first time, Windows couldnít open programs (*.exe) and needed to know what program should be used to open them. I tried deleting it and creating it over, but I still receive the same errors.

There may be a problem with ASP.NET, when I went to create the new user, I found a user profile for ASPNET as a standard user with password protection (although, since I didnít know it existed, I donít know the password). It says that changing the password will invalidate any certificates and stored passwords. I am not sure if these are passwords to sites I donít use or if it means the stored passwords on my browser.

I have run two malware protection programs and an AV program. My system is clean. I have also tried ďscf /scannowĒ and FixWin, but there doesnít seem to be any setting in FixWin for any of these issues. I suspect registry damage though from a previous attack or possibly from programs that I removed that had no business on my system.

System Restore is useless since it doesnít go back before the problem occurred. Plus I keep getting an error message that the System cannot be restored because there is not enough memory. Because of that it aborts the restore.

In XP there used to be a mode where you could ask Windows to check the system and have it replace corrupt or missing files from the installation disc. I canít find this on Windows 7.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Wh Phoenix; 22nd June 2013 at 16:41.

The new user-.exe files problem has been fixed. the .exe key was missing from the registry. It didn’t seem to affect the other user accounts, but screwed up any new ones. I replaced the key and fixed the associated exefile key. The new profile is working as it should now.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Open Run box, type shell:sendto and hit Enter to open your SendTo folder. Here, you can add or delete entries.

Use Notepad more often and it will come back to the Frequently Used Program list. If you wish, you can pin it to your taskbar, if you use it frequently.

You are I believe referring to the System File Checker. But it seems that you have already Run sfc /scannow.

Since your system restore too is not helping, repairing Windows 7 may be the best option left.

I have gotten Notepad back up to its former top position on two out of three profiles. The last it is second position. However, it no longer has the fly-out menu of recently opened files. But I think that had something to do with turning off the option for recently used files on the start menu properties. I will have to reset that.

Yes, system file checker. I get writer’s block occasionally.

Oh great. “Windows cannot find ‘shell:sendto’.” Sounds like another registry problem.

I will have to get back to you on the Repair Install, since I cannot stay online and do it. However, the Repair Install sounds like what I was looking for.