Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: HP Printer services running without HP printer installed

radrick55 is offline New Member

Default HP Printer services running without HP printer installed

My Windows 7 machine has been taking a long time to startup, so I decided to check what has been loading on bootup.
    I discovered 2 services running that start automatically: Pml Driver HPZ12 and Net Driver HPZ12. This seems strange because i do not have any HP printer installed. I have a Brother MFC printer/scanner/fax machine and a Samsung laser printer. I did have a HP Officejet at one time, but I un-installed it and the accompanying software. Could these services be remnants of that installation and how do I get rid of them?
    I tried stopping them and disabling them, but upon re-boot they run again.
    I do have a HP LCD monitor installed, but from what I have read the services belong to printers.
    Can anybody explain this mystery?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I did have a HP Officejet at one time, but I un-installed it and the accompanying software.
    That's your problem. Sadly, it is common for such remnants to remain behind after uninstalling hardware and it's software. The most common reason is those services were running at the time and the uninstaller could not remove the running programs.

HP is notorious for this, but in all fairness, so is just about every body else.

You might try stopping the drivers, then setting them to Manual, instead of disabled. If that does not work, there are HP OfficeJet software and driver utilities, but as seen here and here, they are version specific so you will need to determine the version numbers first.

If still no luck, it may necessary to surgically remove the entries from the Registry.
    printcloud likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The safer way would be to open Services Manager, browse to the mentioned service and set its startup type to Disabled.

The other way would be to remove the service completely. See Remove or uninstall unwanted Services in Windows with Total Service and Driver Control for details.

I recommend the safer first option.