Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: Defrag Pagefile and C: Drive

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Default Defrag Pagefile and C: Drive

After installing all the software (minus the ones I described in the other thread), I went for defrag as usual.. I prefer command line version which reported 16 per cent defragmentation left after the process.

When I opened GUI version, it showed 1% defragmentation only. I am wondering if that one percent could be the pagefile! If I am to defrag the pagefile only, how do I do it?

In XP, the Sysinternals tool worked but not seems to work with pagefile in Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit. There is defragller from Piriform but it too does not seem to work on individual files though it claims to do so. I right click pagefile.sys and select Defragller in context menu. I just get the Defragller window listing all the drives. Either I am doing it wrong or it is not meant for single file defragmentation.

Can any of you please suggest an alternate that works? I remember deleting and creating new pagefile every time when on XP. But that was years ago. Is it a better idea? And if yes, how to go about doing it?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

If I am to defrag the pagefile only, how do I do it?
    You don't. The PF is an unmovable file and cannot be defragged. And if you have lots of free disk space, doesn't need defragging anyway - especially with W7 - it will optimize the drive for you (unless you disabled that).

Otherwise, temporarily change the PF setting for your drive to "no page file" and run your defrag. Then enable the PF again. And I recommend you let Windows manage it.

Make sure run Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner before defragging. No need to defrag with potentially 1000s of tiny temporary files on the drive.

Remember, Windows 7 is NOT XP. W7 does not need tweaking like XP did. There is no need for you to mess with PF size settings. Windows can manage it very well. And regular defragging is not necessary unless you are critically low on free disk space. And in that case, the solution is to free up space by uninstalling unnecessary programs, deleting unneeded personal files, or buying more disk space.

If you have not changed the default settings, W7 will use its fetch features and the PF to optimize the drive based on your computing habits for better load times and performance. When you manually defrag, that optimization is undone.
    HappyAndyK likes this.