Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fatbroad49

Thread: Windows 7 back up fails - Error code 0x81000019

linda-t is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 back up fails - Error code 0x81000019

hello

im having problems backing up my files in windows 7 . I get the message "VSS" and "SPP" logs and the error code 0x81000019

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more info

can anyone help

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The logs may give you exact reasons, but you may try these general suggestions.

Run Check Disk first.

See if you have sufficient hard disk space. Run CCleaner or Disk Cleanup Utility. Volume Shadow Copy may not work properly if available space on any drive is less than 40% - I think. So use built-in Disk Management or some freeware Partition Manager to change disk size if you feel.

Run services.msc to open Service manager. Esure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is Started and set on Automatic.

Disable your security software temperorily and see if it helps.

Though not related, you might to have a look at these posts too:
    Fix: Error Message 0x81000038 when you back up files in Windows 7
    Solution: Windows Backup fails in Windows 7 with Error 0x80004005

Hope something helps!

vasudev is offline Moderator

Windows 7 creates a hidden System Reserved Partition of 100 MB (check by running diskmgmt.msc ) & when this partition does not have enough space to store shadow copy this error seems to occur. Windows backup requires ~40MB of free space on this partition to backup successfully. And if its less, the error occurs. So you can go to that 100MB drive from Diskmgmt.msc and from properties, check 'Compress this drive to save disk space' and see if you can get >40MB. Then try to back up again.

Also while taking the back up using built-in Windows bk up option, exclude System image from your backup and then try.
    Also there are some more methods given here, like repartitioning, marking that System reserved partition as Active and also there's another method where fsutil command clears and disable the USN journal on System Reserved partition, thus making more space. But these methods may be bit complicated if you are not comfortable trying these.
    btw whcih SW are you using for backup, any 3rd party SW or built-in back up?

Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

I have a Toshiba mini-notebook with Windows 7 Starter and I can't get it to back up---getting an error message 080070578---and I have a mostly empty C drive. I'm going to try your advice and see if it works for me.

Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

Stupid me! I had the Volume Shadow Copy on Manual, and as soon as I put it on Automatic it worked just fine. Thanks!
    HappyAndyK likes this.