MTerrien is offline Beginner

Default CD-ROM fail - Windows cannot start this hardware device

I have a Windows 7 computer with a SCSI cdrom that suddenly quit working. In fact it was just 2 days ago that I used it. Now it won't acknowledge and CD disc. Checking in Device Manager it shows a yellow alert icon. Checking properties for the cdrom it shows the following:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Do I need to replace the device?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Do I need to replace the device?
    Maybe. I would uninstall the driver, reboot and see if it properly reinstalls. For sure, you should check to make sure the data and power cables are firmly attached too.

That said, CD-ROM drives are pretty rare these days and a SCSI version is even more so. DVD drives have become the standard and of course, they support CDs. And SATA is the standard interface, thought EIDE (PATA) is still popular. You should be able to find several DVD R/W drive options for less than $25 that Windows 7 will support natively (no need to install extra drivers).

MTerrien is offline Beginner

Thanks Bill. Uninstalling and rebooting worked. BTW it is a Blu-ray DVD drive. Didn't think about that as I was trying to use a music CD. Again thanks.

Mike